Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

FINISHED - SEASCAPE - INTERTIDAL 4 - 107 cm x 107 cm/42" X 42" - OOC

edited July 22 in Post Your Paintings

This is another big one in my abstract realism series - it's the same size as the last one with a  similar subject but looking vertically down at the water. There are some final touches to add but this is pretty much it.  I hope it looks realistic but also that viewers are very aware of the abstract elements. 

I'd love to hear whether it works for you or not. 

Thanks for looking and commenting.  :)

Rob
GTOgar3thjon3sHilaryRUESGAArtGalBuckyMichaelDSandroBOB73Gary_HeathA_Time_To_PaintkaustavManweshaElizaSi1SummermanitouJulianna

Comments

• The foam on the water is amazing. But the bright sunlight is the best part.
    tassieguy
  • Works very well for me as always! Especially like the warm patch of light hitting the lower right rock contrasting with the cool blue water above.
    tassieguy
  • Yes , definitely works Rob. 😊
    A very unusual perspective.  The viewer can dive right into the painting. 
    Not one for a person with a fear of heights!! 
    Great light , great abstraction.  Up there with all the others.  
    Beautiful ❤️
    tassieguy
  • Wow!!!! This is amazing 😃
    tassieguy
  • Thanks, @Hilary and @RUESGA. I'm glad you guys think it works. 

One more to do in this series then back to more traditional landscapes of less demanding dimensions.   :)
    BOB73
  • I think it definitely works, gorgeous light, textures

amazing

:) 
    tassieguy
  • Can't really take a good look at this for the vertigo. I'm glad you are going back to the traditional. 
  • edited July 22
  • Took my breath away!  I can feel the tension I have in a high place .  Very effective.  Extremely well executed.  I'm so sorry I don't like it.  I'm petrified of high places.  Outstanding job.
    BOB73
  • Was that ambiguous enough for you?
    BOB73tassieguy
  • edited July 22
    Thank you, @oilpainter1950. That's fine. It's not a painting everyone will like. I'm happy you think it has a certain tension and that it's well executed.  :)

I'm trying to keep a high degree of realism but also be a bit more edgy with my compositions in order to create the sort tension you mention. I'm also trying to emphasize the abstract elements in landscape - those crazily shaped rafts of foam moving from right to left across the top of the canvas, for example.  It has become apparent to me that if I want to get into the most important competitions down here then pretty pictures of winding roads through green fields leading to blue hills and fluffy white clouds are just not gonna cut it. The crazy arty-farty judges in these shows think there are too many pretty pictures in the world already so I have to experiment with new ideas that might get noticed. But I'll also continue to paint traditional landscapes because I like them and they sell well for me at the gallery.  :)
    MichaelDGTOArtGal
  • @tassieguy, that's magnificent, how on earth did you keep your place and concentration !
    tassieguy
  • Thanks, @marieb. It's harder some days than others but mostly I just lose myself in the process and the painting just sort of happens. At least it keeps me from worrying about COVID19.  :)
  • Really outstanding Rob! This one is way up there with your very best. 
    tassieguy
  • This painting is magical.  The realism from a distance is great and there’s a lot to see close up too.  It doesn’t fall apart close up.
  • edited July 22
    Thanks, @GTO. I desperately want to get into the Glover Prize or the Wynne Prize or the Hadley Prize (these are the biggest prizes for landscape in Oz) but I know that to get in as a finalist my entry will have to be abstract or pretty edgy realism.  I'm doing another in this series and I'll try to come up with an even weirder POV. Maybe upside down - the view while doing a hand stand on a cliff edge, lol.  :)  
    RUESGABOB73
  • GTOGTO -
    edited July 22
    @tassieguy   I’d love to visit Oz but the wicked covid witch has everything locked down!  😀

I like your thinking and pushing the proverbial envelope.  I got a couple additions paintings into another regional show.  The 1917 Service Revolver and the Orange with the large octagonal brown orange vase.  I tell myself not to enter into a national show until I get some regionals under my belt and until I can submit a painting that I think will win a top award.
    I’m not so sure the still life’s I am doing are that caliber.
    BOB73tassieguy
  • Rob, as far as those shows and competitions are concerned, I think this composition is unique and abstract enough in its own right. But I understand about what's wanted at the shows. Give the customer what he wants.
    tassieguy
  • edited July 23
    Thanks, @GTO, @PaulB and @BOB73.

Good to hear you got two more into a show, @GTO. They are both really good paintings so I'm not surprised they got in. I think doing regional shows first is a good idea. It's something to put on your artist's CV, helps build confidence and paintings often sell in such shows. And you just might win. Those two works are good enough.  :)

@BOB73, glad you think the composition it's edgy enough.
    I can appreciate abstract art ( I've bought abstract works) but even good abstract work doesn't seem to be enough these days. A slab of coloured cement won the last Glover Prize. I saw the "painting" on a wall and I just didn't get it. Must be something lacking in me. But I'll keep trying.  :)
  • It's not you it's the judges. If you lack anything they have, it is stupidity. Remember all those canvases painted gray that all the art enthusiasts were all ga-ga for.  Too much of the contemporary art word is consumed with raising garbage to the level of genius. They'd rather look at a landfill than a well rendered landscape.
    tassieguybsartsjudith
  • That's an incredible painting! I have no other words for it.
    tassieguy
  • Jaw-dropping, incredible work.  Should probably never be hung in a psychiatric hospital, might give the suicidal patients ideas  Seriously, excellent work.
    tassieguy
  • I think it would be OK in an asylum. Probably not on the floor though.
    MichaelDtassieguyA_Time_To_Paint
  • edited July 25
    Lol, @BOB73. Dark humor indeed. But I had to laugh.  I had visions of  the painting on  the floor and all these suicidal folks jumping onto it from a sofa. I guess it would be a safe option, though. It could save lives. If it doesn't sell I could offer it to our local hospital. :)
    MichaelDBOB73
  • @tassieguy, Im sure linoleum prints, as a side line, would prove lucrative.

:) 
    tassieguyBOB73A_Time_To_Paint
  • edited July 25
    Lol, @MichaelD. :) That might be a marketing idea someone here could run with. I wonder if @dencal could come up with a business plan.  :) 

I do think, though,  that hospitals would be a more congenial environment for patients and staff if they had more art in them. Every time I've been in hospital as a patient or visitor, or decades ago when I worked as a nurse, I noticed that there was no art on the walls - except maybe a few things at the entrance - but nothing on the wards. There may be some good reason for this but I can't imagine what it could be. A few prints behind Perspex that could be be regularly sprayed with disinfectant and wiped of dust would be no risk to anyone but might remind folks that there is still enough beauty in the world to make life worth living. 
    BOB73MichaelDA_Time_To_Paint
  • @tassieguy, I think some hospitals are better at that than others.
    It also depends on setting. If its mental health which I work in, you need to make sure whatever you attach to the wall cant be removed and used as a weapon against themselves or others. 
    tassieguyA_Time_To_Paint
  • edited July 26
    Ah, yes, I see.  I didn't think of that.  :)
  • HilaryHilary -
    edited July 26
    The more I look at this latest painting , the more I appreciate it. The more I see in it.
     It seems a shame that with paintings of this quality , that you’re not making limited edition prints. 
    All that incredible work and detail and just one home is lucky enough to be able to afford to have it hanging on their wall. Prints of your paintings would sell like hot cakes , no doubt about that. 
    I’m not sure how prints work or how galleries organise the whole thing or If it’s the way you want to go. 
    Is it something you’re considering , Rob?   
     You’ve probably discussed this here before so forgive me if it’s something you’ve already covered. @tassieguy
  • edited July 26
    Cheers, Hilary. I'm so glad you like the painting. I hope the one I'm working on now will turn out well. It's the same big size but even more abstract.  It will be the third in the series. And the last, I think. :)

To be honest I've never really thought about having prints made. I don't know what would be involved or how much it would cost or whether there would be a ready market for them.  I've always just assumed that only famous paintings had prints of them made.  I'll ask my gallery director about it. There may be other artists at the gallery who do it.

If I do get them made I'll send you one for free.  :) 
  • Ah , I wouldn’t expect one for free , Rob , but I’d definitely buy one. 😊
    I know absolutely nothing about how to go about getting prints made but I do know an Irish artist who makes prints of all her paintings , limited edition prints. They are extremely popular and to my eye , almost as good as the original work. And very affordable which is the important thing. 
    If you look at the reaction to your work from this forum alone, you can’t be in much doubt that your work has very wide appeal. 
    And I think that’s what’s required when it comes to print making. 
    Obviously, owning an original is something very special , but so few people can aspire to this. 
    Will be interested to know what the gallery owner advises. 
    Maybe there are other artists here who have gone down a similar route. 
    Anyway , it’s all good because the more exposure your work gets , the better. 

tassieguy
  • edited July 26
    Cheers, @Hilary.

I guess "limited edition" means that there would only be a certain number produced and they would all be numbered. And I imagine the artist would be obliged not to have more than the "limited edition" produced which would only be fair. If they were mass produced after the "limited edition" I would understand buyers of the "limited edition"  not being too happy. And I imagine the quality of the prints would need to be very high so I guess it would not be cheap to produce. Still, they would be substantially less expensive than the original painting and so the work could be more widely owned and seen.  Which would have to be good for the artist.

I'll be really interested to hear my gallery director's thoughts on it. I'll let you know what she says.  :)
  • BOB73BOB73 -
    edited July 26
    Rob these two businesses are affiliated and both turn independent artists' works into prints. It might be a place to start to find more information. Even if you're not interested they have a lot of art to look at to pass a few minutes.
    https://www.greatbigcanvas.com/artists/
    https://www.imagekind.com/sell/art-photography.aspx
  • P.S. people are strange. I have a friend in the interior design business who tells me some people change the wall colors in there homes frequently and with it the wall décor.  Apparently there are enough people like that to keep these wall art outfits in business.
  • Thanks, @BOB73. I'll check them out to see how it all works.  :)
  • @tassieguy that's a really innovative painting. I like the colors too.
  • Thanks, @KaustavM. Good to see you back with us. I hope you and the family are doing well.   :)
  • Thats top drawer stuff right there, as real as it gets!
  • The rocks, the foam, the water, the sunlight!! All amazing!!!❤️
  • I feel you're subconsciously going towards a very Sargent landscape route. You're paintings are getting into another level. Go colorful and we'll love the abstracts.
  • edited August 2
    Thanks, @kaustavM. I'm only doing these more abstract works in the hope that one of them will make it into one of the big Australian landscape competitions. But I suspect I'd have more of a chance if I just spread a large canvas on the floor, took a dump on it and then applied varnish when dry. Mixed media.  :/
    MichaelDBOB73A_Time_To_Paint
  • @tassieguy goals are alright. But I'm sure you can create some new things here. Looking micro into the land formations, water or bark structures. Think over it. I'm sure you can do amazing things with these! A new style for you.
    tassieguy