Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Beach Scene 16 x 12

Finished this up today.  Used a reference photo from Pixabay.  Rigger brush got a great workout with this one.  Tips always welcome.

GTOMichaelDmichal3michaltassieguyHilaryArtGalBOB73

Comments

• beautifully done.  I am not sure of the ochre horizon line.  All that grass looks fabulous.
    A_Time_To_Paint
  • A lovely piece, @A_Time_To_Paint    makes me feel tranquil when I look at it.

:) 
  • This is terrific. nice colors and great values in the sand and grasses. The sky and water look natural too.  @GTO it may be a horizon line but it looks like it could also be a peninsula shore line. 
  • @GTO @BOB73 is correct.  That is a distant land mass, maybe a peninsula.  Thank you both for your encouraging comments.  @MichaelD thank you very much!
  • Wow, I've been right all day. At least since 3.
  • edited July 18
    first plane is beautiful for me the rest very nice, in general a bit empty for me. Any sea gull or distant boat maybe? What do You think?
  • @BOB73 LOL!  Thanks again for a chuckle.  @michal3michal For me, a landscape with man made objects in it ruins the tranquility and simplicity of nature unless it is something like an old barn.  I've not added animals but a couple of seagulls might be a good idea.  Where would you place them in the composition?  What do you think?
  • edited July 19
    A_Time_To_Paint said:
    For me, a landscape with man made objects in it ruins the tranquility and simplicity of nature unless it is something like an old barn.  
    I agree. 

I think you've done a fine job with this, @A_Time_To_Paint. The grass is very convincing and the composition is great.  :)
    A_Time_To_Paint
  • HilaryHilary -
    edited July 19
    The grasses are , I think,  the stars of the show in this painting.Have you been watching Michael James Smith ? His videos of how to paint grass are so good to watch.  You’ve created some beautiful abstraction in the sand dunes in the left foreground. 
    And the colours you’ve chosen for the scene create a very calm and relaxing atmosphere. 
    What I like about this is that there ISN’T  a man on the beach ! It’s totally secluded and peaceful. I have the place to myself. I don’t even want squawking seagulls destroying the sense of calm.😊
    I really like this painting. I like its simplicity and its sense of peace and solitude. 

MichaelDA_Time_To_PainttassieguyBOB73
  • edited July 19
    @Hilary thank you so much.  Glad we share the same thoughts as does @tassieguy.  You have worded that thought very well.

@Hilary said "It’s totally secluded and peaceful. I have the place to myself."  

I did attend Michael James Smith's art school for a year and did five of his lessons.  Found him on YouTube first and saw he was opening the school and just had to attend.  Really like the results of his technique, albeit I need lots more practice.  There was not much discussion in the school on composition or values and mixing color was learned by watching him mix paint on his palette without conversation on complementary colors, opposite colors, color harmony, etc.  I've been painting for going on three years now and feel Michael's teaching helped me tremendously, as I was a total beginner. 

So happy to have found Mark Carder and his method.  Some of the gaps are starting to fill in.  So much to learn and will continue to learn throughout however many years I have left to paint.  Thanks again for your lovely comment  =)
  • Ah , no wonder your grasses are so spectacularly good. 😊 @A_Time_To_Paint
    I love watching Michael James Smith paint but I know I don’t have the temperament to be able to attempt his style. You have a talent for detail. 
    Another person I’ve learned a lot from , apart from Mark Carder , is Stefan Baumann.  He’s a mine of information on all aspects of oil painting and his lectures are very lively and entertaining. 
    My most recent discovery is Helen Van Wyk ( now sadly no longer with us 😔) 
    She’s not only an extremely talented artist , she’s a very gifted teacher. 
    I’ve ordered two of her books on Amazon but they’re taking weeks to arrive. Really looking forward to reading them. She comes across as a lovely warm person with a keen sense of humour. Very generous in the way she shares her vast knowledge of her subject. She paints with such energy and enthusiasm that it’s infectious. 
    The thing I find the most fascinating is that no matter how many classes we attend , videos we watch , books we read , we ALWAYS end up with our very recognisable style of painting. Much like our handwriting I suppose. 
    I find this strangely comforting in a world where everything seems to be becoming robotic and increasingly lacking in spontaneity. 

tassieguyA_Time_To_PaintBOB73
  • edited July 20
    I agree, @Hilary. Our painting style is as individual as our handwriting. I would never have thought of that great analogy but it's so true.  You have a talent for finding just the right words.  :)

I guess individual style -  for example, the sort of brushstrokes different artists make  -  is what brings most forgeries undone. Some people are really good at discerning this sort of thing. Computers are taking over and, as you say, the world is becoming more robotic but I think it would be very hard for computers to learn this skill. And, however uppity they get, they'll never be able to paint like humans. So they can stick that up their USBs and smoke it. Hope it fries their hardrives and warps their motherboards. 

Nah, just kidding. I couldn't do without my computer. How would we do DMP without them?   We just need to make them so they remain our friends, our helpmates, and cannot become our masters. :)
    A_Time_To_PaintBOB73
  • @tassieguy. Thank you so much for the good laugh!  @A_Time_To_Paint love the painting.  I can just hear the water lapping on the shore and feel the breeze.
    tassieguyA_Time_To_Paint
  • edited July 19
    Thank you @oilpainter1950!  Enjoyed your comments @tassieguy, made me laugh out loud.  So agree with computers being our helpmates and not our masters.  @Hilary Yes, I've found Stefan Baumann and enjoy some of his YouTube videos.  It would be great to go to one of his workshops.  I understand he offers a coaching service using that dreaded computer technology.  May have to look into that one of these days.  I do have (somewhere) his downloadable book with his paintings and the thoughts behind them while he painted them.  Good read.  I will have to look up Helen Van Wyk. Thanks for the info.
  • Computers::: I use it but don't trust it. I could balance my checkbook and pay my bills before they became household appliances and still do. I'm not on facebook, twitter or clouds and this is the only blog or forum I use. They are great for spreadsheets and youtube for DIY and entertainment but we already had William alexander, Bob Ross and This Old House on TV.  Why sit in front of a computer playing games when you could be fishing, pleinair painting, biking or playing monopoly with real people in your dining room. Progress sucks and progressing us into the ground.
    A_Time_To_Paint
  • Somewhere in the air in the middle plane to make them big enough to be visible with few concerning details and make the observer sure that these are sea gulls. Position accordingly to the whole composition. Maybe one landing with a bit spreaded wings another just preparing to land. Both in any interaction. That for me would give a bit movement, dynamic and live to the picture which is to steady for me. But for the other hand this filling of emptiness which I have looking at the painting may by my problem🙂👍.
    A_Time_To_Paint
  • Thank you @michal3michal for your thoughts.  I will consider movement in future work.  They do present dynamic paintings when done properly.  
  • Let me know when you are done :)