Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Issues with linseed?

Hi everyone, I'm new to oil painting, but not new to art in general.  I work in realism and finally decided after many years to give oil painting a shot after never quite achieving my desired results with acrylics or water colors.  I recently purchased some linseed oil and asked a few folks on the oil painting subreddit about it, and most advised me to use it with caution as it sometimes makes rags and paper towels catch fire.  I live in a very hot climate and my house often gets pretty warm itself, so that's a little bit concerning.  I'm curious as to how I would dispose of the paper towels safely after use, and if there's anything else I need to be cautious with.  And no, I'm not using any solvent because I'm confident that I don't have the proper ventilation in my house :) Thanks. :)

Comments

• kingpyretta

Welcome to the Forum.

Use a lidded paint tin, half filled with water. Put used oily towels under water and secure lid.

The heat will build in any container, if there is no oxygen it can’t ignite.
    However, a plastic bag will melt and then it’s dial 911.

I have posted this short video several times but it is worth repeating.

Linseed Oil and Spontaneous Combustion

Denis
    kingpyretta
  • dencal said:
    kingpyretta

Welcome to the Forum.

Use a lidded paint tin, half filled with water. Put used oily towels under water and secure lid.

The heat will build in any container, if there is no oxygen it can’t ignite.
    However, a plastic bag will melt and then it’s dial 911.

I have posted this short video several times but it is worth repeating.

Linseed Oil and Spontaneous Combustion

Denis
    Thank you so much for the info! That answers my question 100%, I appreciate it and will be doing just that!:)
  • paper towels don't self combust as readily as cloth especially cotton rags but no mater what you use follow @dencal 's advice. It doesn't matter what kind of oil you use either any vegetable or animal oil will have the same problem. 
    kingpyretta
  • I drop my oily rags in a home depot orange bucket half full of water, then put the lid on it. There is no way they can spontaneously combust as long as they are saturated in water. 
    kingpyretta