Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Yet another lighting question

What do you do if you want to paint a still life setup that is not brightly lit?

i have an 800 lumen light about 3 ft above the still life.  When I put my white test block in the still life to balance my studio lights to that pure white swatch I can’t reduce the studio light to match the block in the still life without drastically reducing the light on the canvas.   I try to keep about 780 lumens on the canvas.
as a note...
I use this equation to calculate the lumens on the canvas. = lumens x (1/squareroot [distance to canvas])

ive watched marks light balancing video but it doesn’t answer this question.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?wide=&v=TuZ0t5FR9f0

Paul Foxton has a bit of a different approach 
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UgEq0I7zxBw

What I’ve been doing is just keep 780 lumens on the canvas and just light the still life however much light I want and then just use the color checker and not worry about ever getting a balanced pure white.

[Deleted User]

Comments

• I think the answer to your question is "What I’ve been doing is just keep 780 lumens on the canvas and just light the still life however much light I want and then just use the color checker and not worry about ever getting a balanced pure white."
    [Deleted User]
  • @BOB73 but why does mark and Paul both adjust lighting so the studio and the still life White match?
    [Deleted User]
  • GTO

why does mark and Paul both adjust lighting so the studio and the still life White match?
    So that the white point balance of the subject and painting are the same, ensuring that colour balance and luminance range across the spectrum appear natural. Too warm, too cold, too dark, too light are the problems avoided.

The quality of light influences how you perceive colour and consequently what value and temperature goes into the paint mix. Application of paint to the canvas is also influenced greatly by the qualities of the studio light 

If shifts like this don’t matter why  bother with white balance?

Denis
  • @dencal thanks. I understand what your pointing out there.  I guess if your setting mood with lower light levels you will be shifting the colors?  I haven’t looked closely at that effect.
    dencal