Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Two Cherries

This is a small piece on a 5x3.5 wooden panel

Thanks for looking   :)

hasan_batA_Time_To_Painttassieguygar3thjon3sRaffiBuckyArtGal

Comments

• Only a person of extremely good taste would hang that on their wall.
    MichaelD
  • Thank you @BOB73, too kind

:) 
  • I love that black cherry color.
    another interesting thing is how you’ve done this with no table edge at all.  It makes the shadow play a more important role in the painting.
    MichaelD
  • edited June 27
    Yes @GTO they are quite different from the red type that you did in your wonderful Bowl of Cherries (I wonder if that was Jos Van Riswick inspired  by the way?).

I had thought about an horizon and table edge, but as there was non in the source photo I took, being quite close up, it works nicely without.

This was great exercise for me in shadows, cast shadows reflective etc and I got positive feedback on what I had done from an art teacher friend.

Its a simple piece that I am very pleased with

• @MichaelD Jos van wick and Jacob Collins are a couple influences.  After reading your question above I had to go check out his cherry paintings and I noticed how his glass bowls have a cloudy look same as what I did.
    I like working from life instead of photos because there’s more visually to observe when I’m looking at the actual object.

How about you?  What artists influence your work?

MichaelD
  • Cherries in love. Lovely painting. The lack of reference for the background is a bit disorienting, but that serves the painting I think.  Really nice.
    MichaelD
  • Again, it's the simplicity that makes this work so well. I really like how it's just the cherries and their shadows. The mind somehow fills in the background. Really beautiful :)
    MichaelD
  • edited June 28
    @GTO thats great, I intend to work from life more now I have made a little more space to do so.

I love the work of Luis Menendez a Spanish painter from the 18 hundreds, interesting character too. I have a great book on him and his works.

Yes Jacob collins I like and jos Van Riswick, Cindy Procious, Carlos Mascaro, Brett Humphries, John Morra. I find the work of some of the hyperrealists like Johannes Wessmark, James Hollingsworth and Karen Hollingsworth phenomenal. 
  • This painting is so cool. I love the depth of colour. 
    MichaelD
  • edited June 28
    @Freeman, Thank you, yes they are loved up  :)  Im glad you like it.

I know what you mean about the background but as I have framed the subject much closer than in the source I would have been making it up.
  • @tassieguy Thank you so much, I'm pleased that you like it.

• This is such a delicate piece, the composition is superb, and I could only dream to reach this touch - absolutely fabulous!
    MichaelD
  • Thank you @sailor54, glad you like it.

• Thank you @Raffi thats very kind of you.  I feel the same about a lot of work I see. Having the dream is a great start, then its just a case of learning and application, and you have started on that path. I am sure you can achieve what you want to.

Raffi
  • I like the simplicity of this @MichaelD
    You're definitely going through a minimalist phase😊
    One of the things I love about this forum is that we get to share the names of artists whose work we admire and who inspire us. 
    Do you think it’s a good idea to more or less try to emulate their style of painting in the hope that you will develop some of what they achieve ? 
     That’s what I’m trying to do at the moment. 
    Or do you think all our paintings should be done from our own photographs or our own still life set ups ? 
    This is something I’m confused about at the moment. 

MichaelD
  • edited June 28
    Thank you @Hilary, yes I'm enjoying simplicity and I think more of an understanding of subtlety  :)

Thats a good question.
    No I don't seek to emulate the style of others as I believe it will hinder development of my own.
    I do get inspiration from them though. For example I'm sure I saw a painting of a single cherry by Jos Van Riswick, and that gave me an idea to do my cherries.

So sometimes I will see a piece of work that I admire that will trigger ideas for my own work, but most have come from myself.

I much prefer to do paintings from my own ideas/set ups and photos.

I tend to take a lot of photos of a set up and more often than not its an unexpected shot or angle that will jump out for me.

I know many people can get a lot from copying a piece from someone else and I don't think there is anything wrong with that if something can be gained from it but its not an approach I have taken.

I guess its all about us finding our own ways in whatever helps us.

Raffi
  • @MichaelD. Luis Menendez really filled up the canvas crowding his compositions.  

I see that Cindy Procious auctions her paintings on her web site.   That’s cool.  Her portraits are great.  Those would be difficult to do.

Carlos Mascaro‘S work is interesting.  Lots of pure color.

Brett Humphries Is amazing.  Do you know if he paints his still life’s from photos or directly?  He is a prolific painter.  I am amazed at his ability to do reflections. Surface texture and highlights.

I love John Morra‘s work.  The range of value and range of chroma is rich.  His work is precise.  And then there are his landscapes.  They must have been done on-site.  I’ve got to spend some time looking at his work.  Just fabulous.  I wonder if he studied at the water street atelier in New York. It has that feel.

The hyper realist painters are so technically adept. 

James Hollingsworth  Such precision working from photos.  He must have a lot of patience.  I saw three paintings of billiard balls in a bowl.  Who has the patience to do three of them?

How does Karen Hollingsworth get those birds to sit still? Even for a photo?  I notice she uses the same web provider as Hollingsworth.

thanks for sharing those artists.  It certainly broadens my view.   Now I feel I have so much more to consider and so much more to learn and apply.  
    MichaelD
  • @GTO Re Luis Mendez, ( I meant 17 not 18 hundreds) he certainly did. I think then it was a showing of your standing and status to have a painting showing bountiful pleasantries and delights. Such things as sweets and hot chocolate, now freely available to many, where goods of luxury then.

Cindy has become a good friend though she is in US and I'm in UK. I took a workshop with her 3 years ago in Bruges, she still gives me guidance and help if I ask.

Carlos Mascaro I discovered recently on instagram after he posted a `Like` for my Fading Rose, I then looked at his works which I love.

Brett Humphries I have got to know a little via correspondence. His still life work has a vivid brightness to it and incredible detail. Great landscapes too. He does some works in acrylics and some in oils.

John Morra`s work on machines is incredible, and in contrast he has also done some works in the style of
    Menedez.

The work by the Hollinsworths is phenomenal, they are a couple so maybe thats why same web provider.

I am glad you appreciated them, feel free to let me know of any artist that you think I may like. 

There is one I neglected to mention Paul Coventry Brown and when I went to an art tutor 5 years back (which reignited my inner artist I had in me from school days 40 yrs ago), I chose one of his works to do. I was advised first off to copy something from a piece of work I like (the only time I have copied).

So I did one of his which is a lemon with a knife through it. In the years since I have been in touch with him. He now lives in France but comes from Liverpool as I do originally.
    Anyway, I was flattered that he was flattered when I told him the above. 

I have since bought a small one of his pieces, its a couple of lemons in brown paper.

His work is really worth checking out.

GTO