Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Paul Foxton color mixing

This is a very interesting video by Paul Foxton on mixing colors.  I know it’s a lengthy video but it’s good to the very end of the video.

I think his comments on how his mixing affects the chroma along the way is worth considering.  

He mixes his colors differently than I do.  For example I know that ultra marine will affect color, value and chroma when I’m altering a low value Hugh chroma yellow.

I guess I’m thinking of all three when I mix.
what I find interesting with his mixing is how he will mix a grey of similar value and add that to the color he is mixing to reduce the chroma.   I think that method may actually be faster than what I do because I find I spend a lot of time adjusting color when I’m trying to reduce the intensity of the color.

something else he mentions near the end of the video is that he is selling independently by auctioning his art on-line.

heres a link to the video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EEtuAUnD_vs

[Deleted User]

Comments

• I also use a gray of the same value to reduce chroma. You can't overshoot and get to the wrong hue, black and white are cheap, lightfast, and opaque (unlike other pigments).
  • I use grey in this way too

:) 
  • I’ve used white only after I’ve mixed the hues and see what the resulting value is.  Then I’ll add some white and if necessary add a darker hue to adjust the value.   I’ve also never used black.  For anything. I’ve got a tube of ivory black.  Maybe I’ll break open the seal and try it.

@Forgiveness I thought if you when he mentioned that he used to do street chalk art.

Forgiveness
  • I use grays mixed from colors already existing on my palette, it helps to keep color harmony in any composition. I also carefully consider how colors are reflected and deflected in all surrounding elements within a scene.
     I have ivory black but have not used it in painting, it deadens color even on a minute level. The only reason that I have ivory black is to try out and explore the "Zorn" palette, sometime.

It's not necessarily great time for chalk art in public spaces at this time, but I have noticed more painted murals being created and looks like fun!
  • I've been using Burnt Umber and Paynes Gray as my warm and cool "darks", avoiding the potential deadness of Ivory Black ...which is often a "hue" and can tint unpredictably from the multiple pigments used.  And Paynes Gray will tint "blue-ish" as white is added as in the original Zorn Palette.
  • Ivory black should not be a hue..?
  • Ivory black is not considered a hue but it does have a blueness to it.  It’s a cool black.
  • Here is an interesting video about the use of black and how it changes your palette.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ADA9RcN31A
  • Yes it has a blue bias but a proper ivory black should be only composed of one carbon black pigment, not a mix. :)
  • If you want to learn more about mixing black to darken colours and how it reduces saturation I find this page excellent:

http://www.huevaluechroma.com/063.php

The way to overcome this when mixing black into a tint is to add more of the original colour (minus the white)
  • Thanks @Intothevoid and @Richard_P.
    ive been using burnt umber and ultramarine blue to make black.  And I can make a warm or cool black with that.  
    The color space link makes sense when they talk about the paths that color mixing takes.  They definitely are not linear and curve inward or outward as they described.
    Why am I so frightened of ivory black?  I am afraid to get closer than one meter to that tube of paint.  😧.   I think it’s because of the control issue that is brought up in the video, but also it seems to punch cold black holes in a painting.

• @GTO, I don't use ivory or any other black for the reason you mentioned. I like the chromatic blacks you get from mixing UB and BU or phthalo green and quinacridone crimson. The resulting blacks don't seem to cause the problem you mentioned.  :)
  • I appreciate that but if info @tassieguy
    So far I’ve used only the four carder colors and white. I will play around with the Q Crimson and P Green to get familiar with its properties.
  • edited June 25
    @GTO Yet another mix for black; alizarin crimson and viridian, known as "the magic colors". I find this mix to be quite exciting.
    MichaelD
  • @Forgiveness I see that would work too.  Maybe the difference with that vs using Phthalates green could be a degree of transparency.
    Forgiveness