Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

A 2 hour loose landscape: Oil on canvas 12x18

Comments

• Which medium and what size?  I really like it.
  • edited June 21
    @geoffrey_38,  is this from life or from a photo reference? Or is it all imagined?

It's an interesting image. It's starkness grabs me.  I like the golden fields and I'm ok with the black hill. But the swirl of cirrus clouds in the sky at left (if that's what it is) looks facile. It's as if you said, ok, yeah, that's all lookin good. Now, let's have some fun and make up some clouds to finish it off - swirl them around that there black hill and, voila! I'm a genius!

I wonder how much more you could have made of this if you had thought about the sky more, made use of good reference material and spent more than two hours on it.  The sky looks like an afterthought - not from reality and not well enough imagined for realism.  You obviously have talent but good realism needs more. It's hard. It takes lots of time.

I've tried to be honest and helpful here and I hope my comment doesn't come across as harsh 

Maybe take some time to fix the clouds. It's an interesting , even powerful, image and I really like it except for the sky which I find incongruous and jarring. But that might just be me and I'd be interested to read what others think.

I look forward to seeing more of your work. :)
    MichaelD
  • tassieguy said:
    @geoffrey_38,  is this from life or from a photo reference? Or is it all imagined?

It's an interesting image. It's starkness grabs me.  I like the golden fields and I'm ok with the black hill. But the swirl of cirrus clouds in the sky at left (if that's what it is) looks facile. It's as if you said, ok, yeah, that's all lookin good. Now, let's have some fun and make up some clouds to finish it off - swirl them around that there black hill and, voila! I'm a genius!

I wonder how much more you could have made of this if you had thought about the sky more, made use of good reference material and spent more than two hours on it.  The sky looks like an afterthought - not from reality and not well enough imagined for realism.  You obviously have talent but good realism needs more. It's hard. It takes lots of time.

I've tried to be honest and helpful here and I hope my comment doesn't come across as harsh 

Maybe take some time to fix the clouds. It's an interesting , even powerful, image and I really like it except for the sky which I find incongruous and jarring. But that might just be me and I'd be interested to read what others think.

I look forward to seeing more of your work. :)
    I was in a loose mood and from start to finish did things wrong. Starting with a poor quality source.
  • edited June 22
    Well, I'll eat my hat. That unreal pattern is actually in the reference. However, I suspect it's been greatly exaggerated or 'enhanced'  wth a swirl tool in Photoshop. It looks unreal in the reference.  You copied it well and I was wrong. Apologies. 
  • tassieguy said:
    Well, I'll eat my hat. That unreal pattern is actually in the reference. However, I suspect it's been greatly exaggerated or 'enhanced'  wth a swirl tool in Photoshop. It looks unreal in the reference.  You copied it well and I was wrong. Apologies. 
    These are high altitude clouds in the hills of Tekapo , New Zealand. In New Zealand Tekapo is the best sky for astronomy and for seeing the southern aurora.
    tassieguy
  • edited June 22
    I have been to Lake Tekapo and the ski fields of the South Island. The whole place is incredibly beautiful.  I hope you'll paint some more of it for us.  :)
  • Absolutely LOVE this. 
    Any time I see a stunning photo in a magazine, or in a calendar, it’s ALWAYS New Zealand. 
    I also love their Sauvignon Blanc ! 
  • Beautifully done, very Homeresque. I see clouds like this in Texas too.