Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Composition Question - Good Picture? [RESOLVED]

mhqoilmhqoil -
edited June 19 in General Discussion
Is this a good composition? I know it would be nice to see more green, but this is just a photo from pixabay. I think working on the apricots would be fun. I could also not paint the green.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comments

• mhqoil

Yep. Good composition. More green would be good for colour balance and contrast.

Denis
    BOB73
  • mhqoilmhqoil -
    edited June 18

Thanks @dencal. Do you think this is better?
    dencal
  • edited June 18
    Yes, More greenery would help. The composition is a bit ... I dunno ... it just doesn't grab me. It's just a pile of apricots.  I take it this is part of a bigger photo. Can we see the whole photo? We might be able to suggest a better crop for you. The apricots would look better if they were more dramatically lit so there's more cast shadows and more contrast. Everything is a bit too much the same colour/value. And the background is a bit samey all over.  Sorry I can't be more positive about it.  :)
    MichaelD
  • Yes, It's a bit plain for me too. I also find the high contrast of the apricot skin against the fruit distracting.
  • The original is plain. I thought it was pretty. I appreciate hearing that it's boring, I would rather know now than after spending days on it. I don't want to put weeks and months into paintings that aren't good compositions. So thank you for saving me the time! 

It doesn't fit on 8x10 easily. 

What about one of these?

My favorite is 3 but it looks like it has had some editing done to it. Thanks for any suggestions you can offer! :)
  • edited June 19
    I like all of these, @mhqoil. The second and third are the best. I would paint number 2. As well as beautiful colours the moss on the branch  adds a little more context and interest. But number 3 is very pretty, indeed. You would need to study the blurred wings carefully, though.  I'd use my squint technique there. :)
  • mhqoilmhqoil -
    edited June 18
    tassieguy said:
    I like all of these, @mhqoil. The second and third are the best. I would paint number 3. As well as beautiful colours the moss on the branch  adds a little more context and interest. But number 3 is very pretty, indeed. You would need to study the blurred wings carefully, though.  I'd use my squint technique there. :)
    Thanks for your input! I would pretty much live and die by it after seeing your work! :D I will work on number 2 next. What a cutie, deserves a good name.

Really thanks sooo much! I feel you have saved me months with your advice, between this post and others.
    tassieguy
  • edited June 19
    Cheers, @mhqoil. There was a typo in my post which I have edited and corrected. I meant to say that I would paint number 2 - the bird on the branch.  Number 3 is very nice but the background is a bit ordinary and the blurred wings might be problematic. 

Whichever one you choose to paint I think you are going to need phthalo to get those blue-greens.   But it's very powerful so don't let it get into your other colours or you'll end up with a blue-green mess. I'd paint the whole bird very thinly in the darkest colour in the photo and when that is semi-dry I'd carefully lay in the power colours of the feathers and avoid blending blue into yellow etc. Colour check the colours in the feathers.

Hope this is helpful.  :)
    GTO
  • tassieguy said:
    Cheers, @mhqoil. There was a typo in my post which I have edited and corrected. I meant to say that I would paint number 2 - the bird on the branch.  Number 3 is very nice but the background is a bit ordinary and the blurred wings might be problematic. 

Whichever one you choose to paint I think you are going to need phthalo to get those blue-greens.   But it's very powerful so don't let it get into your other colours or you'll end up with a blue-green mess. I'd paint the whole bird very thinly in the darkest colour in the photo and when that is semi-dry I'd carefully lay in the power colours of the feathers and avoid blending blue into yellow etc. Colour check the colours in the feathers.

Hope this is helpful.  :)
    I figured as such in your earlier comment.

Thanks for the heads up about the blue! I would never have known. Thanks also for the guidance about laying in the color. I will give it my best shot! 
  • find one you love and paint that. your outcome will be better if you loved it from the start.
    MichaelDtassieguy
  • My suggestion is to have fun with it.  Which ever one you choose, you will learn a lot.
    MichaelDtassieguy
  • This turned out to be too hard for me so I am posting a possible alternative :)