Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

View along the River Wreake (16" x12")

This is a painting from a photo I took on my phone when we were out walking by the river one sunny day a few months ago. I attempted this painting in oils but failed miserably and had to wipe it all off..

But I returned to the source photo with using my student grade acrylics to do this kind of impressionistic realism. It was the first time I've done an acrylic painting in this style, but I had great fun doing this.  I'm still learning about how to use acrylics, and there are a lot of mistakes, but I think it looks abstract up close and realistic from a distance. I think my impressionistic style is developing and there is a lot of new things to try with this and acrylics.

tassieguyBuckygeoffrey_38Gary_HeathHilaryL.DuranGTOdencalPaulBBOB73

Comments

• Looks groovy to me! I like the clouds in the distance and the narrowing of the river. The warmth of the dirt looks nice.
  • edited June 18
    Love it. I think this is your best landscape, Richard. Values look good and I love the looseness and texture. The deep blue shadows on the foreground water are beautiful. 

If this were mine there is one little thing more I might do: I'd try some reflections in the river where we have that narrow sliver of blue water squeezed in along the righthand bank. It may be in your reference but I'd want to break that line because it directs me away from the beauty of the foreground water. 

But this may just be me. And it's such a minor thing in what I think it a very good landscape. I hope you do more.  :)
  • Thank you Rob. Interestingly I didn't colour match the mixes, just a rough guess, so if you get the values roughly right it all works.

Good C&C! Yes, it's in the reference, but as you know, sometimes we can change things a little to improve a painting.

I would like to do more of these, I like this style and it was fun to paint.
    tassieguy
  • There’s a fabulous sharpness you can get with acrylics. I miss that so much. 
    I don’t know how you can vary from oil to acrylic Richard. I feel it’d be like changing your religion 😊 I’m not religious by the way ! 
    But this painting is so striking. 
    I think you’re on to something with this impressionistic style. 
    And definitely fun to paint so freely and loosely. 
    Do you need to use different brushes when working with acrylics? 
    I read somewhere that it can ruin your good brushes if you use them for both.
    Not sure if this is true or not.   

• edited June 18
    Richard_P said:
    Thank you Rob. Interestingly I didn't colour match the mixes, just a rough guess, so if you get the values roughly right it all works.

Yes, it's in the reference, but as you know, sometimes we can change things a little to improve a painting.

Yes, Richard, I agree. There's not a painting I've done where I haven't had to depart from the reference material. 

I rarely colour match these days, either. I can do most of it on the wing. As you say, if you get the values more or less right then things fall into place.  I'm really looking forward to more of your landscapes, Richard.   But, then, I look forward to your portraits, too. :)

• Thanks both of you! :)

Hilary, I think you can use brushes for both oils and acrylics, but that some natural hairs like hog hair doesn't work well with water as it splays.

For this I actually only used a small Rosemary & Co Eclipse round. All my flats and filberts were with my oils paints at my friends. I did realise half way through that I did have a flat and a rigger here, but decided to finish the painting with just that one brush and see how well it came out.

• it’s an attractive canal scene.  The green area above the pathway seems like it has too much chroma to it.  It comes so far forward towards me that it’s pushing the tree trunk back.
    The sky and leaves and the canal side looks great.
  • Such a great painting! I really enjoy the style