Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Studio Flooring

SummerSummer -
edited June 16 in Studio & Supplies
Hi, all!  We're just finishing up building my new 12 foot square studio that has a 5' x 10' north facing window to paint by.  I thought I should check in with you guys first before I decide on the flooring.  It is concrete now.  The ceiling and walls are dark brown and black.  We're also installing backup lighting from the ceiling with 5000k LED lights.  And, I can pull drapes across the window on bad days.  What suggestions do you have for floor covering?  I'm thinking wall to wall black linoleum.  The poly-carbonate mats I have been using over carpet are too small for the new studio.  What materials are you most comfortable with using yourself or would like to try if you had the option?  My husband says that the old masters used a barn for a studio with a north-facing opening.  Floor covering wasn't an option.  LOL   :)  Summer

Comments

• Dirt  isn't a very good floor covering but at least it doesn't reflect. With a window that large I think you should consider something that doesn't reflect too much. Maybe an earth toned non glazed tile. It's easy to clean. I have wood flooring and it reflects too much when direct sunlight comes in.
  • @BOB73 Hi Bob.  We may have to put in earth-toned or grey self-stick matte floor mats/tiles.  It would only require vacuuming once in a while.  And, we could do the work ourselves.  I agree that reflections are a big issue that have to be resolved.  Thanks for your comments.  Summer
    BOB73
  • How about staining the concrete?  You can even stain patterns to give it some style.
  • GTO said:
    How about staining the concrete?  You can even stain patterns to give it some style.
    My husband also suggested staining the concrete--with a black dye.  Another suggestion for beautification.  I could design a pattern to give it some style as you suggest or just slosh it on--haha.  So far, I've been using black drapes, large pieces of cardboard and strategically placed objects and furniture to keep reflections from unwanted areas but these are in addition to the floor problem. 

So far, I think I like the idea of roughing up the concrete and dying it flat black with a design of some sort.  It will be cheaper too. 

Thanks for your suggestion, @GTO.

Summer 
  • Why dye it? You could paint it with black masonry paint?
  • Richard_P said:
    Why dye it? You could paint it with black masonry paint?

Hi Richard,

I think it depends on whether I want the masonry surface to continue breathing or not but I'm no expert.  Thanks for the suggestion. 

Summer
  • dencaldencal -
    edited June 16
    Summer

Needs to be waterproof, solvent durable, smooth surface, easy clean, neutral colour, non reflective, DIY, low cost, easily removed.

Denis
  • @dencal  Denis

This looks very interesting indeed.  I will probably say yes to this option if the samples that arrive look this good.  Will let you know. 

Summer
    dencal
  • I just put a dark gray linoleum on my new studio floor.  It's more or lees the same colour as my walls, ceiling and blackout blinds. It's easy to wipe up spills and, anyway, it won't matter if it gets paint on it (it will) because it's cheap and easy to replace if I ever sell the place.  I don't worry about walls and floors etc getting paint on them. It's inevitable.  It's a work room and a new lick of paint and a bit of lino will restore the shiny new look if needed.  :)
    BOB73

• Rob, your studio sounds absolutely perfect in every detail.  I like the dark gray coloring you have chosen.  Will definitely choose a dark gray something for the floor now that I can see the sample that dencal has provided and knowing that you are happy with a dark gray linoleum.  I'm glad that I asked the question.  Thanks for sharing. 

Summer 
    tassieguy
  • @Summer if you do the snap together flooring be sure the you have a level floor with absolutely no dips no matter how small those dips are it you will feel the flooring give when you walk over it.  I know this from direct experience.
  • GTO said:
    @Summer if you do the snap together flooring be sure the you have a level floor with absolutely no dips no matter how small those dips are it you will feel the flooring give when you walk over it.  I know this from direct experience.

Great tip, critical, in fact.  Will keep that in mind.  Thanks.

Summer
  • You should mix the dark grey from Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Umber.. ;)
    BOB73tassieguy
  • Richard_P said:
    You should mix the dark grey from Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Umber.. ;)

LOL.  :)

Summer
  • I just put down a 9x17 ft roll of the rubber floor in my studio.  Dark gray,  and is advertised for garage floors.  Easy cleaning, comfortable walking on.  Love it .  Just lay it down and let it stand a couple days and your good to go.
    Summer
  • I got regular shiny floor tiles...easier to clean oil paint stains. 
    Summer
  • SummerSummer -
    edited July 29
    Thanks for your comments @greendl and @kaustavM.  They are on my list of considerations now.  Right now we are dealing with leaks from rainstorms.  We should be installing flooring in about four weeks.  Can't wait to send pics.  :) 

Stay ahead of Covid-19 everyone.  I had a mild version of it early in the year but continue to spray everything with disinfectant, wear masks, shields, gloves, out-and-about clothing and footwear so I don't get it again. You are in my prayers--all of you. 

Summer
    kaustavMtassieguy
  • Glad to hear you only had a mild version of Covid @Summer
    Seems unfair that if you’ve had it you can get it again.  

Summer
  • Thanks, @Hilary.  Yes, the virus mutates very quickly and the antibodies that I developed from the first version of the virus, may not protect me from any of the others that I may encounter in the future.    :/
  • @Summer try to have vitamin C as much daily...lemon or medicine etc. Do deep breathing because that's where it hits. Even at the hospital we've been given a device for breathing. 

Somebody shared this and I now know that it's relevent.
    Home Isolation tips to Covid +ve patients briefly : 
    Buy the following tablets 
    650 paracetamol tabs when fever grows.
    Tab Allegra 120 mg once a day
    Tab Zincovit once a day

2. Eat all vegetables curd eggs fruits yoghurt 
    3. Sleep well drink more water
    4. Rest and rest 
    5. No physical exertion at all -  
    6.Keep cool and think positive 
    7. Check temperature by a good digital thermometer
    8. Check oxygen saturation by Pulse oximeter
    You can use AC but fan also should be there
    ArtGalSummer
  • Thanks for this list, @kaustavM.  There are a few on here I didn't know about.   :)
    ArtGal
  • I believe #6 is most important: Keep Positive and Think Cool. but do the others as well. Thanks for the insights. Keep the Faith.
    ArtGal
  • Summer

A vinyl flooring install from the best in the business. The Handyman.

Some good tips and watch points here.

Denis
    Summer
  • so, Summer, have you decided yet? Personally I'm staying with the old carpet. I like to paint barefooted and my feet get cold. The fibers are treated and paint wipes up well enough to not build up but of course there are stains. It's cheap indoor/outdoor stuff I've had in the room for 25 years. If I have to replace it I'd probably go with linoleum because there are too many dips for a tile floor though that wood be preferable. 
  • SummerSummer -
    edited July 31
    Hi @BOB73.  Well, carpet was my last choice because that is what I have now, but the way you use it makes sense.  This is going to be a tougher choice than I thought because four are equally acceptable. It may come down to picking one of the four from a hat.
    It's rainy season here and we've almost got the leaks fixed.  Painting inside walls today.  Bolts and locks on the doors yesterday.  Storage closet yet to finish off.  Lighting and drapes will be installed next week.  A real DMP studio--furniture, accessories, painting products and method.   =)  
    BOB73
  • You know you could put down a 4x8 sheet of 1/4 hardboard over the carpet in the space you paint. I thought of doing it myself but the carpet is already ruined anyway.
    Summer