Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Studio Flooring

SummerSummer -
edited June 16 in Studio & Supplies
Hi, all!  We're just finishing up building my new 12 foot square studio that has a 5' x 10' north facing window to paint by.  I thought I should check in with you guys first before I decide on the flooring.  It is concrete now.  The ceiling and walls are dark brown and black.  We're also installing backup lighting from the ceiling with 5000k LED lights.  And, I can pull drapes across the window on bad days.  What suggestions do you have for floor covering?  I'm thinking wall to wall black linoleum.  The poly-carbonate mats I have been using over carpet are too small for the new studio.  What materials are you most comfortable with using yourself or would like to try if you had the option?  My husband says that the old masters used a barn for a studio with a north-facing opening.  Floor covering wasn't an option.  LOL   :)  Summer

Comments

• Dirt  isn't a very good floor covering but at least it doesn't reflect. With a window that large I think you should consider something that doesn't reflect too much. Maybe an earth toned non glazed tile. It's easy to clean. I have wood flooring and it reflects too much when direct sunlight comes in.
  • @BOB73 Hi Bob.  We may have to put in earth-toned or grey self-stick matte floor mats/tiles.  It would only require vacuuming once in a while.  And, we could do the work ourselves.  I agree that reflections are a big issue that have to be resolved.  Thanks for your comments.  Summer
    BOB73
  • How about staining the concrete?  You can even stain patterns to give it some style.
  • GTO said:
    How about staining the concrete?  You can even stain patterns to give it some style.
    My husband also suggested staining the concrete--with a black dye.  Another suggestion for beautification.  I could design a pattern to give it some style as you suggest or just slosh it on--haha.  So far, I've been using black drapes, large pieces of cardboard and strategically placed objects and furniture to keep reflections from unwanted areas but these are in addition to the floor problem. 

So far, I think I like the idea of roughing up the concrete and dying it flat black with a design of some sort.  It will be cheaper too. 

Thanks for your suggestion, @GTO.

Summer 
  • Why dye it? You could paint it with black masonry paint?
  • Richard_P said:
    Why dye it? You could paint it with black masonry paint?

Hi Richard,

I think it depends on whether I want the masonry surface to continue breathing or not but I'm no expert.  Thanks for the suggestion. 

Summer
  • dencaldencal -
    edited June 16
    Summer

Needs to be waterproof, solvent durable, smooth surface, easy clean, neutral colour, non reflective, DIY, low cost, easily removed.

Denis
  • @dencal  Denis

This looks very interesting indeed.  I will probably say yes to this option if the samples that arrive look this good.  Will let you know. 

Summer
    dencal
  • I just put a dark gray linoleum on my new studio floor.  It's more or lees the same colour as my walls, ceiling and blackout blinds. It's easy to wipe up spills and, anyway, it won't matter if it gets paint on it (it will) because it's cheap and easy to replace if I ever sell the place.  I don't worry about walls and floors etc getting paint on them. It's inevitable.  It's a work room and a new lick of paint and a bit of lino will restore the shiny new look if needed.  :)
    BOB73

• Rob, your studio sounds absolutely perfect in every detail.  I like the dark gray coloring you have chosen.  Will definitely choose a dark gray something for the floor now that I can see the sample that dencal has provided and knowing that you are happy with a dark gray linoleum.  I'm glad that I asked the question.  Thanks for sharing. 

Summer 
    tassieguy
  • @Summer if you do the snap together flooring be sure the you have a level floor with absolutely no dips no matter how small those dips are it you will feel the flooring give when you walk over it.  I know this from direct experience.
  • GTO said:
    @Summer if you do the snap together flooring be sure the you have a level floor with absolutely no dips no matter how small those dips are it you will feel the flooring give when you walk over it.  I know this from direct experience.

Great tip, critical, in fact.  Will keep that in mind.  Thanks.

Summer
  • You should mix the dark grey from Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Umber.. ;)
    BOB73tassieguy
  • Richard_P said:
    You should mix the dark grey from Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Umber.. ;)

LOL.  :)

Summer