Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Oil Paint versus Art Students.

TedBTedB -
edited June 14 in Studio & Supplies
There have been several recent discussions on the merits of student-grade vs. artist-grade paints here, but what do students actually use?  I've read in several sources that the WMO (water-mixable oils) paint were in-part created in response to academic art schools restricting or forbidding the use of oil paint mediums and solvents due to environment and hazardous-waste protocols.  Students complaining about the presence of solvents in the air of classrooms and school ateliers of other students.  And the onerous hazardous-waste handling requirements due to being public spaces ...even just disposing of brush-cleaning water and paint rags "contaminated" by lead, cadmium and other toxic heavy metals to government standards.

- But have serious university and commercial professional art-schools actually banned conventional oil paint from their painting programs and campuses? 

- Are students graduating with oil painting degrees who haven't been using tradtional materials ...in the name of political-correctness and SJW snowflake activism?

I know that at my college when the Art and Architecture Department was summarily-evicted from our ateliers so the Marching Band could have our nice building, they dropped the oil painting program due to complaints "about the smell" from the STEM departments in the building we were relocated to.  In a few years, all the degreed painting programs were dropped leaving just the plastic arts and a few light "art history" courses for liberal arts credits required in the STEM and Business colleges. ...And this was 40-years ago.  When I graduated there were no declared art majors in the department,  and soon after they downgraded the Architecture side of the department to an electives-only. ...Needless to say, I haven't given them a dime since. 
BOB73

Comments

• TedB

The course descriptions for the tertiary institutions in Australia list drawing, textiles, digital, history, ceramics and sculpture. Very few mention painting of any kind, though some assessable components include painted projects. 

Many of the fine arts grads say they have never done any colour mixing or theory. Ateliers are addressing this through rigorous grounding in traditional studio practices. Modern art materials and designed ventilation resolves the solvent odour problem.

Denis