Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Peaches [WIP]

mhqoilmhqoil -
edited June 19 in Post Your Paintings
Looking for feedback.  I covered the canvas so ready to share. I am still working on the plate. These peaches are on 8x10 canvas panel.

I took photos, one was inside and one was outside. I still think it isn't photographed accurately (I did watch the DMP video but am still figuring it out.)

This first one was photographed in the sun while I was standing in the shade. The exposure still looks too high, even though I put the exposure setting way down low.

This photo was take indoors and I think the colors are more true. But I feel like you can't see the detail as you can in the sun. I think the reality is between the two photos. Will try again for the next one.

BOB73hasan_batL.Duran

Comments

• Hi the peaches are good, but the swirls distract you, I would calm down the wood effect, lower the temp on the table swirls and those peaches will jump out 
  • alsart2 said:
    Hi the peaches are good, but the swirls distract you, I would calm down the wood effect, lower the temp on the table swirls and those peaches will jump out 
    Good advice, thank you! I am implementing it right now :)
  • The painting looks good.  You might say it’s even peachy keen.  There’s a bit of white on the edge of the left peach at around the 10 o’clock position that doesn’t look correct.
    The little bit of yellow between the two peaches is too li large and bright.  You might even do better without it.
    The shadow of the left peach should get more diffuse as it goes away from the peach.
    I think you might have too much yellow in the band of yellow in the background to the left of the left peach.  
    You’ve got the values and texture of the peaches looking good.
    i know that sometimes the camera will make the whites brighter and darks darker so check those things out and see.
  • This is your best one yet, @mhqoil. The improvement is great to see. When I do my squint test the values/colours in the peaches read true. They look make-your-mouth-water yum. 

The swirls on the table top are ok but would be better painted in more subdued colour and thinly - you don't want impasto/texture there. You want the focus on the peaches. 

I love watching folks make such great progress. Keep going.  :)
  • You have made great progress. I like the composition but the table top as painted is a distraction for me.
  • ChuckA said:
    You have made great progress. I like the composition but the table top as painted is a distraction for me.
    Thanks for the compliment and the direction. I think the progress is a matter of choosing something to practice (round fruit) rather than doing many different subjects.
  • tassieguy said:
    This is your best one yet, @mhqoil. The improvement is great to see. When I do my squint test the values/colours in the peaches read true. They look make-your-mouth-water yum. 

The swirls on the table top are ok but would be better painted in more subdued colour and thinly - you don't want impasto/texture there. You want the focus on the peaches. 

I love watching folks make such great progress. Keep going.  :)
    Thanks for all your advice! I use your squinting recommendation often. I appreciate your point not to use impasto, it's like my brain thinks that's what oil painting should be for some reason - after going to art museums. But it always seems better without it.

The progress is from taking baby steps in subject matter.
    GTO said:
    The painting looks good.  You might say it’s even peachy keen.  There’s a bit of white on the edge of the left peach at around the 10 o’clock position that doesn’t look correct.
    The little bit of yellow between the two peaches is too li large and bright.  You might even do better without it.
    The shadow of the left peach should get more diffuse as it goes away from the peach.
    I think you might have too much yellow in the band of yellow in the background to the left of the left peach.  
    You’ve got the values and texture of the peaches looking good.
    i know that sometimes the camera will make the whites brighter and darks darker so check those things out and see.
    All these suggestions are wonderful. I especially liked the idea to get rid of the yellow triangle and to make the shadow diffused. I think these are making a huge difference. I'm completely redoing the background as well, based on everyone's suggestions. Thank you!
    I like this a lot!
    Thanks, I'm glad you like it :)
  • HilaryHilary -
    edited June 8
    Hi @mhqoil
    You've done a terrific job with these peaches.  I can’t believe how far and how quickly you’ve advanced in such a short time.  
    Did you watch the video of Mark painting three peaches? It’s an excellent video to watch if you want to learn about values. 
    It looks to me like you’re painting very quickly. If you watch Mark , he really takes his time and makes every single stroke count. 
    I find this exceptionally hard to do as I’m impatient by nature and tend to do everything quickly. I’m wondering if you’re the same. 
    But if you look at any very well painted fruit , it seems to be done quite slowly and deliberately. Laying the strokes side by side and avoiding over blending. 
    A peach is a great exercise to do because of all the values in the skin. 
     Keep studying the tones and values and you can actually put the paint on to the fruit to check the colour.( just don’t eat it afterwards !)😉
     Or if you’re painting from a photo , just laminate the photo and paint onto it. 
    It always amazes me how the colours I think are correct never actually are. 
    Looking forward to seeing more of your work because you’re making such huge strides.  
    The first time I painted peaches they looked very much like yellow tennis balls. Yours are heaps better. 
  • @tassieguy said: "I love watching folks make such great progress. Keep going." I'm echoing that statement. I agree with the other things he said too.
  • @Hilary thank you for the kind words. You make some really good points about slowing down. I am a rusher. I agree it could improve my peaches if each stroke were more deliberate. I might lack in color mixing abilities to make that a reality, but it is something to strive for. Maybe I'll try some more stone fruit soon and put it to the test :)

@BOB73 Thanks a ton! Glad to have your affirmation.

• mhqoilmhqoil -
    edited June 19
    Will be wrapping this up soon, so opening it up to any feedback you may have. Would appreciate it - if you have any. I want it to be the best possible, without having to completely redo it.

I am looking for feedback, mainly on the plate. Should I remove the ring or make it darker? I will be fixing the black background by painting over it.

Had tons of fun on this one. Looking forward to wrapping it up and starting on the next!

Thanks!

Edit: I decided I like the plate. I will just be fixing the lower righthand corner.
    GTO
  • I like the plate too.  The changes you’ve done have made a big difference.
    mhqoil
  • So much better now @mhqoil
    well done for sticking with it. Not an easy fruit to paint so I admire how you’ve done it. 

• You are getting better with each effort. Keep up the good work.