Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Does the fat over lean rule apply if previous layers are already dry?

Upon watching some youtube videos recently, I realized that I use a lot more medium than most people in my first pass of painting. If I add anymore medium in subsequent layers, I will probably exceed the manufacturers recommended ratio of medium to paint. I'm not sure if it matters, but to be specific, I am using Gamblin Solvent Free Gel which the manufacturer says should be treated as 100% fat.

This leads to my question -- The medium I'm using dries quite quickly (3-4 days). Does the fat over lean rule apply if previous layers are already dry? Or does it only apply to wet layers over wet layers which are drying simultaneously at different rates?

Comments

• I posed this question to Gamblin as I use the liquid version of the solvent free medium. From what they told me and my own research, if you use the same amount of medium on the second pass of painting, then you will not violate the fat over lean rule, whether or not the previous layers are already dry.  Even if it seems dry after 3-4 days, I would avoid using less medium on the second pass because that would violate fat over  lean. I think you'd need to wait for it to fully dry which could take a year. 
    I've started to use lower amounts of medium on the first layer, so that way i have more margin for error on the second pass.
  • @Csontvary Thanks!
    Csontvary said:
    if you use the same amount of medium on the second pass of painting, then you will not violate the fat over lean rule, whether or not the previous layers are already dry. 
    I never would've guessed this on my own. That's really helpful. Seems like Gamblin is very active with connecting with their products' users. I don't think I would need to use less medium on the second pass so using the same amount will definitely be doable. I think I will probably start using less medium on my first pass going forward in future paintings just to keep the rule.
  • edited June 3
    For anyone following this question - I found this on the Gamblin website which is helpful for understanding their products in relation to fat over lean https://gamblincolors.com/fat-over-lean/
  • That advice from Gamblin also generally applies if you're using other mediums as well or painting straight from the tube. I've read some artists say they always paint straight from the tube and never worry about fat over lean and have never had a problem. I haven't tested this myself though.

Ideally, you wait for each layer to become hard dry before applying another layer. If you do this then you definitely don't have to worry about cracking.