Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Staining a Canvas - Questions

1. Do all colors have to be OIL colors to stain a canvas? 
  2. What type of white would you recommend? I could not find the white that Mark recommends in his tutorial.
  3. Would Gamblin's GAMSOL be ok to thin the color?
  4. In addition to the mineral spirit, is there any other medium that one should use to thin the color?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! <3

Grazia

Comments

• @Grazia For Nos. 3 and 4, yes, you can definitely use Gamsol to thin for purposes of staining the canvas, and I think that's preferable in terms of abiding by the fat over lean principle.
    On No. 2, you don't necessarily need white to stain the canvas, and in fact if you use plain titanium white, it is troublesome because it takes longer for it to dry than earth colors like raw umber or yellow ochre.   I know there's such a thing as Quick Drying White that various manufacturers make, so you'd want to go with one of those if you do want to use white for the staining.  And on No 1, I think all colors should be oil.  (Many people stain the surface with acrylic, but if they do so, they use pure acrylic, not a mixture of oil and acrylic)
  • THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR PROMPT RESPONSE!!!