Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Oil paint in your sketchbook

Here is how Cesar Santos prepares pages in his sketchbook so he can paint on them in oil

MichaelD

Comments

• edited May 30
    Ive ordered an A4 size sketchbook and I am going to try his method.

Thanks for posting

:) 
  • that's a way to save money but you can get sketch books that have primed paper in them already. Just more expensive.

• Bob . . . I didn't know that.  Where . . . Blick or Jerry's?  Thanks.
  • BOB73BOB73 -
    edited June 4
    @broker12
    Yes and Amazon too. Strathmore (430-309) 400 Series Oil Painting Pad (no gesso needed)
  • I've used prepared oil paper and canvas pads, but I find the slooooow drying times impractical for a bound book.  For me it defeats the point of a book, you can't close the pages for days until the paint sets-up. ...However, one reason I prefer studies on paper (other than being thrifty) is I can tape the "keepers" into an inexpensive wire-bound sketch book afterwards for archiving afterwards.  The wirebinding accommodates the added thickness.

For studio-made prepared sheets, I use heavy watercolor paper sealed with Zinns Shellac then a layer of Zinns sealer-primer ...no acrylic gesso.  Also works with heavy Bristol board or even matboard cutoffs.  You can get bound books, tape-bound or wire-bound pads of watercolor paper in varying weights.

I only use arylic gesso on fabric-covered hard panels or stretched canvases.

MichaelD
  •  Ted, Bob:   Thanks for the info.  Ted:  One way around slow drying paint is to use a "dryer."  I used to use Liquin, and a year ago, I switched to cobalt dryer (Grumbacher).  I use about 4 drops per ounce of my medium (equal parts OMS and cold pressed linseed oil).  It dries overnight.  In the Santos video, above, I believe he mentions that he uses Liquin, and for the reason you mention . . . speeds drying.
  • Don't know how relevant this is but I agree painting in a sketch book is impractical but I can see how one might want to organize that way.  so if you wanted to you could perforate your sketches and add them to a binder ring. There are devices and rings available at some art stores but more likely office supply and print stores. Writing this made me remember a friend's homemade portfolio made from two three-ring binders and fiberboard covers. It was over 2x2 feet. Don't know if fiberboard is still available, plastic is and just as strong.