All American Magic™ rose

VangieVangie -
edited June 2013 in Post Your Paintings
This is still work in progress at this stage. I need to get it dry a bit more before I can add more details & touch up as necessary. I realised too late that I've centred my focal point... never mind... I learnt sometime ago, but I totally forgot when I started off this painting, that I could paint my focal point in the centre if the canvas is square, but not if the canvas is rectangular.

Any feedback/critique would be very much appreciated!

"All American Magic rose" oil painting study 11" x 14" canvas panel

The centre rose is based on a photo by an FB friend, Nancy Burstein, with her permission (her photo is shown below).
dencalvalentintjs[Deleted User]Martin_J_CranergrJodieUelena

Comments

• Beautiful Vangie.

Denis

Vangie
  • Thanks, Denis. I truly respect any feedback I get from you, positive or negative.

I actually wasn't sure whether or not to get rid of everything around the rose bloom, but I eventaully decided to leave them in... anyway, I thought, it's just a study.
  • Wow Vangie! Gorgeous rose and a beautiful, beautiful painting :-bd
    Vangie
  • Vangie, that rose is really beautiful. Well done. I'm not too keen on the upper right. It kinda looks like an arrow taking my eye out of the painting. Maybe if you had continued what you have on the left around to the right or what I see in the original photo. I love that rose though. Beautiful.
    tjsVangie
  • Very nice. =D> =D> =D>
    Vangie
  • That rose is gorgeous both in the photo and in your painting. Beautiful! You should be proud ^:)^
    Vangiemarieb
  • wow Vangie I am so impressed, it's really lovely!
    Vangie
  • Just beautiful....and I'm jealous...I have difficulty painting flowers and this is so lovely...just love it!
    Vangie
  • The actual painting seems to look brighter, maybe a tad better, in reality than the photo.
    So, sincerest thank you to Everyone for your lovely comments... unexpected, but truly appreciated... I'm my worst critic of my work.

I truly value all of your feedback/critique. :) ^:)^
  • Ronna said:

Vangie, that rose is really beautiful. Well done. I'm not too keen on the upper right. It kinda looks like an arrow taking my eye out of the painting. Maybe if you had continued what you have on the left around to the right or what I see in the original photo. I love that rose though. Beautiful.

@Ronna, I know exactly what you mean... I'm not happy with it either. I'll seriously consider your suggestion when I get back to it. Painting the centre rose bloom was really my main aim, and the rest was just an afterthought... so my study continues.
  • Savannah said:

Just beautiful....and I'm jealous...I have difficulty painting flowers and this is so lovely...just love it!

@Savannah, painting that centre rose bloom was a good, albeit very challenging and painstaking, exercise for me in practising my eye for detail. It took a few scrapings and repainting to get to where it is now. I'm slowly getting there. I think the rose photo itself had inspired me to persevere ... I fell in love with the rose on the photo, which appears to be the best one of all the All American Magic rose photos I've seen. That's why I had to paint it as best I can.
  • Nice bright colours, great painting.
    Vangie
  • so lovely,so beauty flower,but back to the flower something is not all right,some deph need,the perspective is not so great.I might get wrong but is that what i see.I love the flower,is great,is lovely waw
    Vangie
  • VangieVangie -
    edited June 2013
    Thank you all for your feedback.
    elena said:

... back to the flower something is not all right,some deph need,the perspective is not so great.I might get wrong but is that what i see...

@elena: Thanks for your critique... it helps me improve my painting skills. I'll have another look at my rose bloom to see where I can improve it... I tried to copy the colours on the reference photo, but I may have to use my artist license if the shadows aren't dark enough. Also, the photo I attached of my painting seems to be a lot lighter than the actual painting... I should have used photoshop maybe to get the colours closer to the actual painting. :)
    elena