Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Ballet Dancer

All,
I am 75% done with this Dancer. The image is from a photo.  The canvas is 4'x 4'.

I have several questions;

1- The dress fabric. I believe the fabric is called "Toile", (the same fabric as a Tutu) is not coming out well.
    The fabric does not read as a sheet see-thru fabric. I know with oil it will not read completely as see-thru,
     but I am hoping for shading that the dress reads as see-thru.

2- Skin tone. I am using; white, yellow ochre and cadmium red. Not enough red cad?

3- All comments and suggestions are very welcome.

4- I hope all you artists are safe and washing your hands and showering more then once a month.

5- Best Regards to all and thanks for the assist.

David

Comments

• If we could see the photo you are working from, it would help others make helpful comments.  Are you color checking?
  • All, for those of you that wanted to see the photos of the Ballet Dancer. 
    The one on the right is the image I started with. The one on the left is the colors I like best.
    I tried to combine the two.
    Thanks again for any assitance.
    David

• The photo on the left is a lot more blue an the lighting gives the dress the sheer appearance you described but less so than the right photo. It would be a mistake to try using both photos. Paint the dress like you would paint glass- stop thinking of the dress as a 3-dimensional object and paint the two dimensional forms that combine to make the dress. Your flesh tones will need to have more dark-darker values but they may not read right for the bluish light of the dress and floor. add some primary yellow to the ocher and try sienna or a different red. Cad Red is too strong and difficult to get subtlety.  
  • Carefully pay attention to the shadows and the color of the shadows.