Cleaning palette

ArtGalArtGal -
edited May 2020 in General Discussion
What you guys use for your daily palette cleaning ? love to use  isopropyl alcohol but  I can't get it anywhere now. As always your advice greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• ArtGal

A glass palette is easily bulk cleaned with a plastic or metal scraper.
    The residual pigment comes off with a wet wipe. I do use iso alc for dried paint.

Denis
    ArtGal
  • edited May 2020
    First I scrape everything with a palette knife. Then I use a few drops of safflower oil and a paper towel to wipe whatever paint is left off. 
    ArtGalblue_sakura
  • I use one of those scrapers you use to clean ceramic cooktops. They work great. There's only a tiny residue left after I use the scraper and this can be wiped off with a paper towel.   I don't need to use any solvent at all. 
    ArtGal
  • edited May 2020
    I use a razor blade fixed in a plastic holder. It removes everything with ease from my tempered glass palette. Wiping with paper towel damped in some paint thinner (the very same thinner that I use to clean brushes) removes all residual bits of paint. :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123954561504
    ArtGalOhLuckyMan
  • @ArtGal
    Much the same as many of the above.

Glass palette and a blade, and for any areas left that havee been hard to shift a wee dribble of gamsol left on for a bit then wiped. I often do a final wash with some washing up liquid smeared over and left on for a bit.
     :) 
    ArtGalOhLuckyMan
  • Thanks everyone! i do use glass palette. need to look up those scrapers for stove  :)
  • ArtGal

These work well

Denis
    ArtGalRenoir
  • edited May 2020
    First i cleanup with a spatula like above. Then wipe the palette with baby wipes. And then clean the residue with a tissue or rag. Baby wipes or wet wipes are really useful when you don't have much time.
    ArtGal
  • Daily cleaning? once in a while I use a razor and a drop or two of brush dip (DMP brush dip). I use a second razor in a holder for my glass cook top.
    ArtGal
  • ArtGalArtGal -
    edited May 2020
    Thank you everyone! this community  is awesome :) and to think some people can't appreciate it :-1:
    MichaelD
  • I am using acrylic paint so cleaning up rather well whether wet or dry. Use soapy water and a sponge to wash off them 
    ArtGal
  • I learned this from a very competent teacher.  She uses parchment paper (as in cake tin lining), sticky-taped over a palette-sized board.  You can mix your acrylics to your heart's content and spray to keep them moist, etc.  Then when you're done, you just untape the parchment paper from the back of the board, roll it up and throw it away.  (I'm uncertain whether this is any good with oils; I kind of doubt it..  But with acrylics, it works a treat!
    ArtGal
  • @zeldaella and @blue_sakura if you can find a flat tray, cut a flat sponge; make it damp with water and fit inside the tray and then put a parchment or a semi permeable paper of equal size on top of the sponge, you'll get a nice stay-wet palette.
  • I use @tassieguy ‘s method razor blade scraper and dry paper towel.
  • Easy as pie. No solvents ever. No hard work.
    After a painting session: Glass palette, baby wipes, palette knife for anything that sticks. The oil in the nappy wipes removes the paint and is gentle on your hands. Make sure you wipe palette with paper towel afterwards - don't want it mixing with your paint later.
    If paint is dry - no effort cleaning: The night before I am going to paint I put baby wipes over the entire palette, then wrap tightly with cling wrap. (Turning the palette upside down keeps all the air out also.) Leave overnight. Next morning it wipes off easily. No effort involved. Nothing toxic.
  • edited April 4
    With a glass palette it's so easy with oils. Just scrape, wipe and your done. Your baby wipes idea is interesting, too, @Abstraction

I've tried many of the paint scrapers that house painters use. Most of them don't work well and scratch your palette. This type of scraper is best. Scrapes so clean you hardly need to wipe.  It's available at all the big hardware stores for under $10 and comes with 5 extra blades:

Abstraction