Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

natural light source from the side and not quite

Hello 

Anyone has an opinion on this kind of natural lightning. I've fixed up my attic for insulation reasons (that took 40 centimetres from the hight). Before the room was black. It was a proper 125 year old not maintained attic and it was snowing in.
I had set up a studio and it worked well with three 5000 K lightbulbs. but I needed my roof not to collapse so I had to fix it up. 

I can set up something black behind the easel, but the test glare as it is now is not so bad. I'm aiming for the light coming from the window to the right in the picture as I'm right-handed. that way I won't get a shadow from the lefthand side window.  I can turn the easel accordingly. 

in general it's nice and light up there. I do have have som LEDs that I can put up. I suspect those will be trickier as I have no space from above.  The angle is not quite 35 

I can always just try and see how it goes, but maybe someone had that magic insight as to how to set up, or use, the best light under those circumstances. I know I'm dependant on the natural light to be consistant. That's what I liked about the bulbs back in the day. I could paint whenever I wanted and it was the same light.

Best Ulrich 

Comments

• Not sure how you would light it but, wow, what a wonderful space! :)
  • UlrichThomsen

Welcome to the Forum.

The passage of the sun, the gloss flooring and the white diffusing walls will make this space difficult to studioize.

The easy solution is to blackout the windows and install lighting. Alternatively, build a blackout enclosure within the space.

Optimally, black out the three windows with the most sun exposure and partition half the room as a painting studio with the remainder for computer, drawing, workshop and storage.

As you suggest, probably best to use it for a while to get a good feel for how the space works and what needs to be changed.

Denis

• thank you for the suggestions. the sun passes from left to right (the wide angle photo), which is why the window to the right in the top picture will have the most consistant light, I think. I'll for sure put a dark no glare rug under my paint space also  to avoid spatter and such on the floor. I'll also put something dark fabric behind me. will also have little black blinds for the windows  
  • It's a good work space but for paintings you want a single main light source for your subject.  So many windows will make forms ambiguous unless you have a shadow box or drapes to block the extraneous light.
  • Actually with all the different surface angles, the light might actually be fairly even.  I'd try it first with translucent shear curtains on the sunward windows to allow as much light in as possible, but breaking up any sunbeams moving across the floor.   If you're doing still life studies rig a large shadow box...or a staging... by the North window for even angled lighting from the side.

Use a gray card to compare the lighting on your subject and the lighting at your canvas. 
  • thanks for the suggestions. day light is not that bad. and the windows make a pretty even light that comes in. Even palet is workable. night time I can move it around and and put up my LEDs on the highest point. get an okay 35 angle and box me in with some black cloth. lets see