Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Cafeteria Tray for Pallette

Has anyone tried using a cafeteria tray as a pallette? I'm currently using a small plexiglass sheet but it is too small for mixing a lot of colors. I was wondering if this would work since it is cheap and has side edges so paint won't get on my countertop. 

https://www.amazon.com/Carlisle-CT121623-Café-Standard-Cafeteria/dp/B00BM8GX0A/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=cafeteria+tray+14+x+18&qid=1587914577&sr=8-11

Comments

• lightbulb3900

Looks like it should work ok. Some of the buyer comments mention a textured polypropylene surface. May be a problem wiping up paint. Could use a sheet of removable glass in the tray for easy clean up.

Denis

• edited April 26
    Ive heard that some find using an old glass fridge shelf is very good, they are toughened glass and often have plastic border/edges.

Paint the underside neutral grey, 

Its pretty easy to clean paint from the glass too.
  • Some fiberglass trays have a smooth surface, though most plastic ones have a texture so plates and glasses won't slip and slide when carried.  Sometimes you can find tempered glass cutting boards cheap.  They're typically smooth on one side and textured on the other.  They're terrible cutting boards, but the smooth side works great for a palette, ...and they're available in many sizes.
  • This is good...if you put a sheet of glass on top of it after painting, then the paints won't dry as well. Check how easy it is to clean.
  • Glass shelves can be ridiculously cheap from a glass shop that makes tempered shelves for  store displays and table tops. custom sizes but you must specify clear and round the edges. these can be less than $10.00 1/4-3/8 thick just paint the back side the same color as your canvas stain.