Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

painting detail...principles please

judithjudith -
edited April 24 in Painting
so...as you probably know I paint in a lot detail

But it takes so long

I was wanting to learn to do surface textures , and repeat small details more quickly...I can see how Mark and others can just put in marks in various values on the canvas and "pop" there's the object when you stand back..appearing before your eye

It isn't random marks an/or values tho..it's in the right places...I am having that experience slowly with the current prickly pears painting WIP ..you may have seen it in my "just Hello" thread on the tiny prickles across the body of the fruits...https://forum.drawmixpaint.com/discussion/11575/just-hello-everyone#latest

There must be underlying principles in this technique where it can be applied to various objects such as a rocky shore, a rust textured boat hulk, the lumps and bumps on a rough fabric etc...

What is key? 
so far I notice 
1 direction of light
2 darks of shadows away from that direction
3 mid tones
4 lights and highlights
5 shape of each stroke
BUT there must be a method to do it more quickly in those details

can anyone shed some knowledge from your experience for me? to help me speed up my painting would be such a blessing

Thanks so much everyone

jude away over in New Zealand

Comments

• Judith

Every painting style or theme requires a different technique or approach, difficult therefore to be prescriptive about principles to do detail quickly.

However, I admire the quick detailed paintings of Michael James Smith.

The MJS technique:

# rough simple pencil outlines.
    # rough simple mid tone acrylic coverage.
    # rough simple dark, nearly black, largish stipple foliage brush cover.
    # careful three tone light top canopy cover stipple.

The third step gives a huge boost to the impression of detail. The third step also creates the shadows and makes the fourth step really pop.

Denis
    Summer
  • edited April 24
    Yes, I think you need to build the painting up from dark to light and from broad masses over which small details are added. It's the last bit that takes the time. You can't just mindlessly do the same shaped little dots and dashes on foliage, for example - the details must bear some relation in terms of their shape, direction and distribution to what they actually depict. I don't think there is a quick and easy way to do this. Like any skill, it takes care and concentration. And practice. MJS has got the technique down pat.
    JerryW
  • thanks dencal and tassieguy...that MJS guy is phenomenal...I use TMC as a standard dark to light but placing the darks on a multitude of similar shapes?! I want it to be easier than just lots of practice
  • I have heard there are such things as miracles, but it hasn't happened with any of my paintings yet.  I just have to press on.
    judithlightbulb3900tassieguykaustavM
  • BOB73BOB73 -
    edited April 25
    Judith, just rub some steroid oil on your brush handles and reduce the size of your supports to two inches by two inches. You'll be done before you know it. Or watch this.

• judithjudith -
    edited April 27
    BOB73 said:
    Judith, just rub some steroid oil on your brush handles and reduce the size of your supports to two inches by two inches. You'll be done before you know it. Or watch this.

I love uyour usual jokes but I am lost with this one sorry Bob...you'll have to spell it out...derr me...why reduce the supports sizes?

• dencal said:
    Judith

Every painting style or theme requires a different technique or approach, difficult therefore to be prescriptive about principles to do detail quickly.

However, I admire the quick detailed paintings of Michael James Smith.

The MJS technique:

# rough simple pencil outlines.
    # rough simple mid tone acrylic coverage.
    # rough simple dark, nearly black, largish stipple foliage brush cover.
    # careful three tone light top canopy cover stipple.

The third step gives a huge boost to the impression of detail. The third step also creates the shadows and makes the fourth step really pop.

Denis
    found this video of his method thank you Dennis

• Doing a Caravaggio' copy right now I am really understanding how much work he put in a single piece..the level of details is crazy. 
    Anyway I found the level of details in a painting a fact of personal taste..there is no rule. sure one can learn to paint in a way where details are only "faked" or try to paint instead every little thing..In my opinion a mix of both in a painting is perfect for me..but again is fact of taste.
    Mark method is a perfect way to achieve a derailed effect by a certain distance without going crazy with 0000000 brushes.
    judith
  • 2x2 supports because you wanted to finish quickly.... part of the joke actually....  I know jokes are not a substitute for good advise but it's my way of saying don't take this seriously or get frustrated by mistakes and taking too much time to accomplish your goals. It's another way of saying SLOW DOWN and enjoy the process. If you like detail that's great for realism and you can master it but you have to realistically understand that getting done quickly is not going to happen quickly and you are still in the learning curve. Accuracy is more important than painting quickly but the more pieces that you do accurately will decrease the time needed to complete them. It takes time to be able to save time. This is where patience is more important than skill or talent.
    judith