Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Mahl stick

Below is an adjustable mahl stick that I just came up with.  The blue side struts are attached to the bottom of the easel with screws.  I constructed a “U” shaped channel at the top of the struts to allow the easel to be adjusted up and down.

dencalChuckAForgivenessGTOBOB73

Comments

• My easel clamps stretched canvas from the inside of the stretcher bars and doesn't have a place to prop a mahlstick.  So I made a mahlstick prop from 1/8" hardboard, drilling 1/2" diameter holes spaced 1" apart along one edge and sawing cuts in the hardboard on 45-degree tangents to each hole, which I can clamp onto a stretcher bar anywhere I need it with two small adjustable clamps.  For a mahlstick,  I use a 36" length of 3/8" brass tubing (wall thickness 0.017") spray-painted black; wooden dowels and aluminum tubing were too flexible in the thickness I like.

• NashvilleArtist

Looks good.

What about a piece of curtain track fixed to the top horizontal bar above the canvas.
    A length of dowel with a screw hook runs/swivels to position and out of the way, or detached when not needed.

Denis
  • Thank you. 

I am unclear as to what purpose the curtain track would provide. 
  • NashvilleArtist

A simple, surer means of support for a mahlstick.

Denis

• edited April 13
    Which is more artistic, the subjective engineering or the subjective influence on the canvas. I like the juxtaposition in the the original painting!
  • Actually the horizontal bar, which is affixed to the blue tracks, slides up and down the tracks. This provides a secure rest area for my hand. I’ll post some additional photos which will clarify what I mean.