Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Hello and beginner question (about digital for planning and practice)

Hi all,

I am a beginner and am passionate about getting into oil painting, however don't have the space to do so. It's just not feasible in my living situation. To make the best of it, I'm practicing sketching to set myself up for when I have space. I've been using pencil and colored pencil.

I've been feeling roadblocked because I had some ideas that are too difficult for my ability in colored pencil. You can't erase, blend well, or match a lot of colors with colored pencil, so its limiting. I was thinking of getting a Wacom Intuos so I could at least practice oil painting and explore my ideas. I like to think I would make a digital version and then copy it with paint when I have space.

Is this a reasonable plan? Or is there no benefit to doing digital art in practice or planning for doing oil painting?

Thanks!

Comments

• Sounds like a very reasonable plan. You'll be able to learn a bit about colour and value, composition and drawing … These are skills you'll be able to put to use when you are finally able to get your hands dirty with the real stuff. :)
  • mhqoil

Welcome to the Forum.

Suggest you check out and iPad Pro and Procreate for digital oil painting + photography 
    + drawing + image manipulation + planning + + + +.

Don't procrastinate the real thing can be as small and simple as a cigar box or as cool as this:

Denis
  • As a cheaper and more comparable option I would buy a small set of gouache paints and a watercolor sketchbook. Whilst different to oils, gouache shares many characteristics and will allow you to practice everything including brush control. It’s an order of magnitude cheaper and much closer to your ultimate goal. I have a thread on here about gouache sketches if you want an idea of what gouache looks like. 
  • As a cheaper and more comparable option I would buy a small set of gouache paints and a watercolor sketchbook. Whilst different to oils, gouache shares many characteristics and will allow you to practice everything including brush control. It’s an order of magnitude cheaper and much closer to your ultimate goal. I have a thread on here about gouache sketches if you want an idea of what gouache looks like. 
    This is an excellent idea. I never knew what gouche was previously. Thank you.