Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

5x7 Study on ACM panel

I ordered some ACM sample panels from Artefex and tested one out today! For those of us too lazy and or scared to make our own aluminum panels...Haha gotta check this company out. I'm impressed by their exceptional customer service. Ive been personally called 2x by the SAME person from their company who took the time to help me through their selections.  Besides that I really live the surface and how it handles paint. Excited to see what kind of realism I can achieve on a larger scale. 
GTOdencaltassieguyPaulBSummerBOB73

Comments

• PaulBPaulB mod
    ACM! I'm proud of you.
    JessicaArtBOB73kaustavM
  • Looks good, @JessicaArt

I know a lot here are using it and I, too, would like to try ACM but I'm sort of stuck in my comfort zone with stretched canvas. And there are three issues that worry me about it. First, I paint big pictures and understand that ACM is rather heavy. If that is so, then when a frame is added I could be looking at a seriously heavy item that people might have difficulty hanging. Secondly, I worry about what would happen if ACM got knocked and ended up with a dent in it. Not sure whether that could be repaired without destroying the paint layer. Canvas is flexible and  gives a lot so doesn't have this problem to the same extent. Even a tear could be repaired. And canvas can be relined for conservation purposes. And, thirdly, I'm not sure how I could get on ACM the lovely, toothy weave of the canvas that I like to exploit for scumbling. I guess I could glue canvas to ACM but then why not just use canvas?

I saw some small ACM panels for sale in my local art store the other day. I'm going to try one for a small still life and see if I like the feel of it.
    PaulB
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    tassieguy said:
    First, I paint big pictures and understand that ACM is rather heavy.
    80cm x 80cm, 3mm DiBond weights 2.5Kg.
    Secondly, I worry about what would happen if ACM got knocked and ended up with a dent in it.
    Unrepairable disaster. I fixed it by cropping with a saw.
    I'm not sure how I could get on ACM the lovely, toothy weave of the canvas that I like to exploit for scumbling.
    I brush on Rublev lead alkyd primer, in two directions. Indistinguishable from an Artefex panel.
     I guess I could glue canvas to ACM but then why not just use canvas?
    ACM backed canvas is a rigid support, and therefore not susceptible to hygroscopic and thermal cycles.
    I'm going to try one for a small still life and see if I like the feel of it.
    It's glorious! :)
    SummertassieguyBOB73kaustavM
  • SummerSummer -
    edited March 11
    "I brush on Rublev lead alkyd primer, in two directions. Indistinguishable from an Artefex panel."
    Looking forward to trying this in a few weeks with a chip brush.  I will also be custom staining the portion that I will be using with a tiny bit of OMS and burnt umber oil paint mixed thoroughly into the product first.  (Thanks @CJD et al.)    
  • @tassieguy ACM is great just ask @PaulB he gets a kickback on every panel sold to a forum member.
    CJDPaulBJessicaArtkaustavM