Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Zorn Colour Chart

Hi all,
I spent the afternoon producing an alternative to the Zorn palette. I wanted to try two things: a new paint brand (Langridge) and a slightly earthier selection of pigments: Gold Oxide (more yellow/richer than Yellow Ochre), Red Oxide (a brick red, quite stiff, with a very high tinting strength), Payne's Grey (my blue black) and Titanium White.
I think the result is pretty harmonious.

Some very subtle pinks and greens.
In each 'puddle' of colour I added a pea size blob of Galkyd to speed drying.
The canvas board is 20"x16" (50x40cm).
I followed Michael Lynn Adams' steps to complete the chart, and it took around 3 hours from start to finish.
Here's the link to Michael's blog: https://michaellynnadams.com/zorn-limited-palette/
JerryWtassieguydencalC_GeierStephanHM

Comments

• @Scotty_S
    Some nice colours there especially the lighter pastel tones. Would like to see the outcome of a painting using this palette, what do you think would be a good subject for it? 
    thanks.
  • I did the same, substituted Paynes Gray for Ivory Black in my hybrid Geneva-Zorn palette*.  The Ivory Black in Zorn's day had a much more pronounced blue-shift the the modern "Ivory Black hue" made today from lamp black or Mars Black.  As you added more Lead White it would blue-shift then shift to a pale greenish blue.  Modern Titanium White's stronger tinting strength and opacity reduces this color-shift compared to the old pigments.  Using Paynes Gray reintroduces this blue-shift due to the presence of Ultramarine and sometimes Phthalo Blue. 

I'm not familiar with Gold Oxide,  is it part of the transparent earth oxides series?

* - Titanium White, Yellow, Red, Ultramarine, Burnt Umber plus Yellow Ochre, Paynes Gray.  I do add Sap Green or Teal to widen the gamut towards green.
    StephanHM