Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Winsor & newton

Hi!

I'm currently looking for a new brand of oil paint. I have used the Geneva paint for a couple of years now, and it's wonderful! However, I want to experiment with different techniques, for examåple painting more impasto, which you can't do with the Geneva paint.

I'm wondering if anyone here has anything to say about Winsor and Newton Artist oil paint? Is it good? Bad? Or would you reccomend another brand?

Looking forward to hear your opinions.

Regards Espen.
Forgiveness

Comments

• I've used it, it's generally good. The local art store where I used to buy paints occasionally stopped selling it recently because apparently they moved production to China and the quality has dropped. If you're in the UK Jacksons own brand is extremely good value if you're looking to experiment, and I've used it a lot. M Graham I've used and is great (uses Walnut oil). Gamblin is also very good. 
    espnerhus
  • I didn't accomplish what I really wanted most with W&N oil paint for impasto work. However I did arrive at Holbein, these are easily accessible and cost effective 40ml tubes for where I live in Canada. For Titanium White I use "Schmincke, Mussini 103 Titanium Opaque White, PRW6 & PRW4" because less chance of yellowing, cracking & peeling over time, and it is extremely opaque. I have yet to try "Old Holland" for certain colors whites especially namely Titanium White, Lead White and Flake White for their unique qualities. In the Holbein brand I use Ultramarine Blue Deep, Alizarin Crimson, Cadmium Yellow (mixed with t. white to make pale), Burnt Umber mixed with Raw Umber to get the same hue and depth in value consistent with W&N and Geneva. These paints are so thick in consistency that it's ok for me to add just a couple of drops of walnut oil to extend the life of my paint on my palette. Impasto dries very fast in my studio both on the palette and on the canvas without it.
    espnerhuskaustavM
  • I would recommend Gamblin over W&N.  For one, I believe that Gamblin uses more and higher quality pigments.  And not only that, you're supporting an American-company based in Oregon that makes its paints in the U.S. and is also very environmentally conscious (see its recent reclaimed earth colors initiatives making paints from pollutants filtered out of polluted Ohio rivers).

espnerhus
  • dencaldencal -
    edited February 13
    espnerhus
    The reference frame here is a little off track.
    Limestone powder mixed with walnut oil can be blended with any oil paint to give an impasto effect.
    Similarly, there are many impasto gels available premixed in tubes and tins for blending with pigments.

Denis
    espnerhusBOB73TamDeal
  • W&N and Gamblin are like everyone's paint. W&N is available everywhere in the world. You can try Blue Ridge with perhaps similar or better quality with slightly lesser cost. Pro people use BR paints as well. I imported some colors and they are really great.
    espnerhusJerryW
  • edited February 13
    I haven't yet tried Geneva. I found W&N average. I now use Langridge paints. They are the best quality paints I have eve used. :)
    espnerhus
  • I also use calcium carbonate, it is very traditional, and within reason does not change your colours.  I got a 1 lbs edible grade bag off Amazon for about 5 bucks.  You can add it to your Geneva, guessing, and thereby preserve the other advantages of that paint, if your truly like it.  Advantages include greater open time, correct colours for the method, non-toxic, mediums added.  But I haven't tried it with Geneva, you might ask head office.
    espnerhus
  • edited February 24
    @espnerhus,
    All my past works posted on here are W&N artist oils, mainly. Apart from my glass and lemon one I think I used Geneva to mix a black. Ive also used some colours form the sets (mentioned below).

I have found them to be good paints. Its interesting that @gar3thjon3s mentions the quality being poorer now they are made in China. I got many of my tubes over 3 years ago, and I don't know if it predates that.

I use a little walnut oil with them.

I have yet to give the Geneva paints I got (over a year back) a good try out. I tend to work in layers and I'm not sure they suit that.

I do like to branch out and try different brands and I have a few `paint sets` of various brands that I have bought.

I have an Old Holland one, they are nice, good strong colours. Quite stiff consistency, but a little walnut oil changes that.

A few months back I bought a Michael Harding Set. Lovely paints, buttery consistently and gorgeous colours.

Late arrival this morning a Williamsburg set, I have yet to try.

All the above sets can seem a little pricy for small tubes but personally I find its a great way for me to explore and see whats out there.

I will continue using my W&N but when I have finished them I may move to another brand, possibly Michael Harding.
    espnerhus
  • W&N is good but average. for  impasto powders and gels you need good tinting power W&N is ok but Gamblin is better if you can afford it. 
    Ajoeespnerhus
  • I have several tubes of W&N oils and water soluble oils all purchased in the last 6 months or so. None are made in China, but in France. Is it different outside of the USA?
  • Actually now I think about it the art store owner may have said France, not China. I think they used to be made in London and the quality dipped after they moved production abroad.