Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Geneva Foundation Canvas Stain

Hi all. 
Since Mark's glass palettes aren't available in the UK I was thinking of making my own with the Foundation Stain, which was covered in one of Mark's YouTube videos some years ago.
Since having this idea, I've found a company online that sells coloured glass. They can match any colour but require either a RAL code or a Pantone colour code. Is it possible that anyone knows what these could be or a closest match to the Foundation Stain? 

Comments

• If you're using a piece of glass, just paint the reverse-side the color you need.
  • Scotty_S

Couldn’t find a Pantone equivalent.

My colour analyser apps gave these results:

In practice it’s not critical. The aim being to eliminate any bias in colour perception from the canvas or palette tone. A neutral dark gray or brown will do the trick. At a pinch black would do.

Denis

Scotty_S
  • Great thanks a lot 👍
  • TedB said:
    If you're using a piece of glass, just paint the reverse-side the color you need.
    Thanks. For the same price as buying glass and painting it I can get coloured glass, so I'm just shopping around 👍
  • I just bought a kitchen cutting board that was clear glass and painted the underside. Added bonus it comes with pre rounded corners and sticky feet pad things you can remove and reapply after painting :) only cost about £10
  • I just bought a kitchen cutting board that was clear glass and painted the underside. Added bonus it comes with pre rounded corners and sticky feet pad things you can remove and reapply after painting :) only cost about £10
    Woah, what size and where from? Got a link? 
  • I actually think my wife bought it for me from somewhere like Tescos because I asked her to keep an eye out while she was out shopping. It’s amazing how much the price of something suddenly drops by an order of magnitude when it’s not “for fine art”. Here is a photo, I painted it a mid grey:

Scotty_SPersia
  • Being used as a palette is the best use for that, using sharp knives on glass is a terrible idea.

Now that I think of it, I have one in my kitchen right now sitting-unused for that very reason, maybe two more in a cupboard.  The one I'm just using as a heat-resistant splatter shield next to the stove.  I'll have to look...

I've been using paper plates to mix paint on.   The squeezed-out oil paint lives in an airtight Mijello-type plastic palette that easily goes in the freezer.  I'm being scrupulous about dipping the clean paint out with a palette knife to avoid cross-contamination.  I bought some gray disposable paper palette pads, but a paper plate works fine for the low-chroma studies I'm doing at the moment.  Kitchen parchment paper or freezer wrap also works for mixing paint on.
    Scotty_STamDeal
  • Here in Canada, at the Dollarama, they sell tempered glass cutting boards 12x15 inches for 4 dollars, which is about 2.30 Sterling.  One side is a nonslip surface perfect for the undercolour paint, and the other side is smooth,  for pallet use.  The glass has the blue green cast Mark mentions in his video, so one needs to mix in a little red orange to get the right hue.  I just match it to my panel colour. I currently use acrylic paint for tinting the glass, and underpaintings.
  • I will probably just paint the back with epoxy when boatbuilding season pops up.  That will protect it from scratches, if it doesn't wreak the colour.  I will test in a corner.
  • TedB said:
    I bought some gray disposable paper palette pads, but a paper plate works fine for the low-chroma studies I'm doing at the moment.  Kitchen parchment paper or freezer wrap also works for mixing paint on.
    If I am just using a little paint, there are so many containers that come through the waste stream that I have endless disposable palettes.  I don't even eat out, or go for coffee, etc...  The mass of plastic I can't avoid is pretty amazing.