Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

What is the worst medium you have worked with?

Hi all,
What is that medium you really dislike or cannot get to grips with at all?
Personally no matter how many times I've tried over the years I just cannot get on with oil pastels. To me they are just so stubborn to manipulate, blend, layer and can be quite messy too.
I absolutely love other pastel mediums but for some reason oil ones drive me nuts.

Comments

• I am writing my media preference in descending order. I hope you'll understand.

Above all 'Fresco'. Way up there in the ceiling. Not for me but God's own paint!
    1. oil paint
    2. gouache
    3. charcoal / conte/ sanguine or charcoal pencil et al
    4. ink
    5. oil pastel
    6. egg tempera {maybe no. 1 when I'm like 70}
    7. Acrylic
    8. soft pastel
    9. graphite pencil (hate those needles)
    10. Digital
    11. watercolor (hate the water :s )
    But nothing works better than BLOOD!  
    tassieguySummer
  • Acrylic. When I first started trying to paint about 2 years ago I struggled with acrylic for about 6 months and was just about to give up when I thought I would try water mixable oil to see if I had any more luck. The extra drying time allowed to fix mistakes more easily and premix colours (coincided with finding Mark Carders videos on youtube about premixing / colour matching etc). I'd probably enjoy acrylics fine now that I have a bit more experience and I no longer premix colours. Gouache dries a lot faster and I'm fine with that now...
  • I LOVE the idea of watercolours and gouache. Thin with water, no need to worry about mixes drying out (just rewet them), or of brushes drying solid. Easy to clean up and take anywhere. BUT, I just can't get used to the value shift and the way I work with blending wet in wet really is opposite to watercolours and gouache.
  • Chalk pastels,even if I take my time to blend ,it still looks like a five year did it.
  • Coffee ~ seemed like a good idea at the time!
    Google: paintings using coffee
  • 1. Water - any medium that uses it.
    2. Oil pastels, I tried and tried and failed and failed.
  • @Ajoe
    I'm currently getting into watercolour as it is easier to take around with me when I go on holiday and find it challenging but very interesting to use especially control as they say it does have a mind of its own.
    Absolutely agreed on oil pastels, awful awful medium, I'd rather try and use lipstick!....hey that gives me an idea  =)
  • Her name was Hermoine and she convinced me to sell my vintage 1964 Mustang and use the money to invest in ENRON.
    MichaelDtoneliArtGalkaustavM
  • edited February 23
    Ha ha, good one @BOB73   :)

My grandmother was a medium, before she became large.
    BOB73ArtGalkaustavMalsart2
  • I’m still a medium but for some strange reason my waist has moved.
    ArtGalkaustavM
  • Personally I like watercolor best. Although I never had the chance to try out all kinds on. I think I will try them on my coming painting
  • I don't care for acrylic paint.  For whatever reason, it is really difficult for me to mix the right color, probably because the acrylic paint comes in so many "off" colors.  It dries too quickly so there's no time for blending for me.  I gave up on them rather than pursue mediums that slow the drying time of acrylics or anything else that might be out there that may help with the faster drying time.  I tried oils and absolutely love them.  I curently use the alkyd fast drying paints and will probably switch to slower drying oils from Geneva Paints.  They look so buttery and smooth without having to use a medium.  Tried water color just a couple of times and didn't stick with them either.  I've seen some gorgeous water color paintings and some acrylic paintings that I swore had to be oils until I realized it wsa acrylic.  I used to be intimidated by oils, thinking that was for very advanced artists.  I could not have been more wrong.  
    Si1