Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

WIP DMP #7 on Panel

Here's a work in progress.
I'm painting it on aluminum panel  First every painting on panel.
I applied an umber ground.  When i did that i used a 2" brush and criss-crossed the brush strokes to give it more of a canvas feel.
The size is 20"x16"
It is from a still live in a shadow box
My goal here was to try painting on panel and to do something that is more complicated than before.
The fabric was a lot more difficult than I expected.  Lots of subtle shading required.
The flowers are even more difficult than the background and I had to improvise a bit when doing them.
I'm not fully satisfied with the flowers.  Too many hard edges and will have to see about value adjustments.
When I did those I matched a set of colors but there is so much variation in the flowers I had to sort of judge by eye and mix colors on the pallet and do some blending.

All comments and suggestions are welcome.
Here's the source and the WIP

jackbullenPaulBConnieHMichaelDmahdiBuckyArtGalCJDForgivenesshasan_batshobhasartspeakzBobitalymaiareinioBOB73Gary_Heath

Comments

• Looking great so far, @GTO. The fabric looks amazing - as I am sure the whole thing will when you're done. :)
  • Thanks @tassieguy. I finally did a background that was t just a black void.  😀
    dencal
  • Looking great, and yeah, that fabric is amazing! 
  • Thanks @Bucky.  All the other backgrounds I did were pretty much solid black, except for the smith and Wesson, though when I did that background I saw it more as just another subject object to paint.
    when I did this background I had to really take my time and treat it like an integral subject instead of just a background.
    I occasionally took a picture of my painting as I went and compared that to the still life and looked for significant differences in value.  That led me to realize just how subtle the values change in the fabric.  But the problem with the photos is they don’t have enough detail in the shadows or highlights.
  • I agree with the others. The fabric is brilliant :)

How do you like the aluminium panels?
  • Thanks @MichaelD
    It took a bit to get used to the panel.  The main difference is the paint sticks to the canvas more.  But I see a lot of potential with the panel.  I can wipe the paint off easily.  I can get a nice oily blend when I want to but I can still leave a single clean brush stroke.  I used an oil ground and gave it a bit of a brushed criss-cross.  That makes it so I don’t have to be concerned about any blemishes in the panel surface.  If I were doing photo realism I wouldn’t use the cross-cross bruised ground instead I’d leave it smooth.  
    I’m using more paint with the panel than the canvas but I like that.

• edited January 6
    @GTO,
    I think your reply addressed to me is meant for @Richard_P, but its all good

:) 

I particularly like how you managed the subtleties in the fabric on this one.
  • Oops.  Yeah that was meant for Richard.  I know he was interest in the Dibond experiment I’m working on.  😀
  • Do u plan to make a focal point for the painting, or do you want to proceed matching colors and values as they are ?
  • @hasan_bat The vase is pretty much the focal point.  The main object.  It will be the brightest part when it’s done.    The washed out flowers above it will get toned down in the final version.  When I look at the painting my eyes go to the flowers then vase and then back up to the flowers and then look at the drapery which directs me back to the vase.   I didn’t plan any of that.  I just setup interesting objects and then try to balance them in some way that feels right.  And I play with the position of it to the light source and adjust the lighting until I’m happy with the lighting.  I intentionally didn’t want too dark of lighting in this one.  I wanted a more upbeat feel.  Thanks for asking that question.  I hadn’t really thought of a focal point until you asked.
  • Looking forward to the finished painting.  Already looking very good.
  • Looking good so far. 
  • edited January 25
    Fantastic work, @GTO it sounds like you went through a lot with it but also a learning curve.

The leaves and stems flow nicely, vase and flowers look great.

I like how you have done the background, good colour. My only slight gripe, and its minor, is the vertical line/curve of fabric to the right (biggest), I'm meaning the shadow area of that. It looks good and true to my eye but some of the off shoot smaller horizontal ones don't in comparison to other shades/folds.

Thats just my opinion though.

Its a great painting.

• @MichaelD Thanks for the feedback.  Which line curve?  On our right as we are looking at it? 
  • GTO - My comments are not professional.I just say how it makes me feel.It's beautiful to me ,clean fresh and illuminating.
    The flowers make me long to touch them.
  • @GTO, sorry, its to the lefts as we look at it.
  • edited January 25
    This is great work @GTO. Some hard won good decisions were made here, this is evident. I suggest regarding the vase, the side of the vase on our right, also the brightest side, the line that defines the vase is off, if you look carefully at the left side.
     My other suggestion regarding your background lighting in relation to the lighting on the vase; it may have been best to have the shadows behind the brighter side of the vase, and then brighter behind the shadow side of the vase. I understand this to be the more common practise as applied to still lifes and portraiture in general. You can leave it as is and move on, maybe come back to it later and replace with a new background. 👍😉
  • @MichaelD. I see which line your referring to.
    @Persia. thank you for the positive feedback.  I’ve been staring at this for a month so it’s kind of lost it’s magic for me.  At least for now.
    @Forgiveness Thanks for pointing that out.  I see what you mean.  Believe me, I aam so ready to move on, but that’s not how I roll.  So you know what I’m be doing tomorrow. 😀. Polishing that artists curse.  Ha. Ha.
    Forgivenessmaiareinio
  • Yes and I can still hear Mark's gentle voice and such kind words and the spirit that gently encourages me through it from watching his videos.
  • It's beautiful, @GTO. I love the colours and the light. The flowers are lovely. And you've done the gold design on the vase really well. 
    I can't offer much in the way of suggestions for improvement because it's so good. Maybe I would try blending that area of fabric on the left where it meets the vase to reduce the noise there so we are not distracted from the vase … But I'm really searching for something to critique here. You could call it finished and be proud of it. :)

MichaelD
  • Thanks @tassieguy.  That’s a good observation.  I see what you mean.  
    It’s always good to have a fresh set of eyes check it out.  I’ve been at this one off and on for  about five weeks.  I had to travel a bit a few weeks ago and then last weekend I was under the weather.  Suggestion for everyone... don’t paint if your feeling not your best.  🙁
    tassieguyForgiveness
  • Beautiful. Very nice work!
  • really beautiful @GTO !! I love the cloth in the back!
  • @GTO, this is perfect! I love the vase, it is stunning with great colors! 
  • edited January 26
    @GTO
    @tassieguy said what I was trying to about that area of fabric, only he said it more clearly.

It is a great painting 
  • Looks awesome, great job on the symmetry too.
    Forgiveness
  • Thanks @tassieguy
    Do you ever get to a point where you feel like you can’t let go and just finish a piece?
    After posting the update I didn’t like the highlight in the left where I redid the crease.  I had to go back in and darken it do it fit correctly with that side of the backdrop.  
    Thanks to everyone for the critiques.  It really is a big help in getting to be a better artist.
    Forgiveness
  • edited January 27
    You did great on this @GTO and very well earned! It looks awesome.
      If you have a resolve for the painting challenges in that moment of presence, then that is best.
     Sometimes when resolve is not present then it is best to wait for the resolve to come later.
     I also believe that it is better to be "creative" in problem solving, rather than to be "reactive" to it.
  • @Forgiveness That moment of presence also needs an openness to see what is there.  But seeing what is there develops with training in observation of value, color, edge, etc. , knowing what to look for, etc.
    That’s why this forum is so valuable, with so many talented artists willing to share.  Thanks for sharing your observations.  Greatly appreciated.
    Forgivenessmaiareinio
  • Amazing work GTO. Very well executed. 
  • Love the subtleties in the fabric and great realism in the vase!
  • Thanks @jackbullen I’m trying to figure out what the next subject is.  I like doing these shadow box paintings so it will probably be another shadow box setup.
  • edited January 31
    GTO said:
    Thanks @tassieguy
    Do you ever get to a point where you feel like you can’t let go and just finish a piece?

Yes, every painting is like that for me. But eventually, I think we have to let it be.  On the other hand, Leonardo D'avinci finished very few paintings.  But those he did finish were all masterpieces. And even those he didn't finish are still amazing.  :)
    ArtGal
  • GTO said:

yes! with every painting i can't let it go :) i usually only  able to stop when I see i'm  making it worse :)