Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

So what are your artistic goals for 2020?

I plan to up my drawing skills considerably and explore techniques and tools past brush and canvas but still keep it as realistic as possible....you?

Comments

• 2020 goals are to get into an art show competition and to try doing a landscape and maybe a portrait.
    ArtGal
  • Intothevoid

Grow, learn and enjoy.

Signed up with MJS. Landscapes completed and underway.
    Signed up with local gallery for eight weeks life drawing.

Denis

ArtGal
  • edited January 1
    To  learn more, to do the best I can and to get better at telling the artist's curse, that demon on my shoulder, to do the other thing.  :)
    ArtGal
  • To enter more juried shows. To expand into landscapes and structural paintings as these are not my favorite things to paint and feel I need to improve  and broaden my scope.
    ArtGal
  • Going out and exhibit stuff in Delhi. 
    tassieguyArtGalBOB73
  • Every day

in every way

to                                                                       get                                                                       better

and                                                                           better

:)
    DiannaArtGalSummer
  • anwesha

This is very useful for life drawing. Good graphics and explanation.

Denis

GTO
  • New Year's Resolution: 
    1.  Continue drawing with graphite and charcoal, something I recently picked up.  
    2.  Paint more than I did last year and produce better quality in the process of more quantity.  
    3.  Draw and paint from life more including plein air.
    4.  Expand subject matter of paintings and drawings to still life, animals, and portraits.
    5.  Get a website up and going and hopefully make a few sales.
  • Increase in quality and quantity sounds like a good goal to me :)

I'd like to complete 15-20 paintings that I'm happy with.
  • Study painting methods more deeply, make master copies, and paint and draw more from nature. 
  • Draw more, paint more, and enter more shows.
  • I plan to attend courses with Mark , Sargent is my favorite, by then hope to improve my sketch
  • Loosen up, find more painting time by ignoring obstacles, or "waiting" for the perfect time to paint, spend more time doodling and sketching, find the best way to paint while traveling. Maybe enter a show,....
  • To try to get accepted into juried shows and a gallery. I’ve submitted to two shows already. Rejected for the first but we’ll see how the second goes. As far as galleries go, being an introvert I’m not really crazy about putting myself out there (I guess I’m afraid of rejection) but I’m going to have to get over that if I’m ever going to sell anything I think. 
  • I struggle with free time to paint. But I'd like to try to do a more ambitious painting in 2020.
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    HondoRW said:
    I’m not really crazy about putting myself out there (I guess I’m afraid of rejection)
    I get your point, but rejection from a show is more an indication that the specific pieces you submitted do not match the theme or vision of the juror. It can also be that they had two hundred more pieces submitted, which is secretly what they want, because they collect more fees, and get to cherry-pick the pieces for the show, which makes for a better show. But it's not a rejection of you, your skills, or your body of work, just the pieces submitted in terms of how they fit with the theme/vision/competition.

Gallery rejection is the same. They have a known client base, a certain aesthetic, and above all, they need fresh new work, but if they think it won't resonate with their existing customers and therefore sell, they don't want it. Again, it's not you or your body of work, just the submitted pieces and how they fit with the aesthetic/customers/other artists. Some galleries already have too many abstract painters and are looking for something different, for example.

Half of my submissions get rejected. Research the juror, and try to match the theme well, you want the juror to think "yes, this belongs in the show".

Many reasons for rejection, none of which are personal.

Paintings do sell at shows. More sell at galleries. Jurors tend to be local professionals, which includes gallery directors. They look at jurying shows as a recruitment drive. I would focus on getting into the right shows.
    HondoRWtassieguyArtGalMichaelD
  • @PaulB - Sounds like good advice. Thanks Paul. 
  • edited January 15
    HondoRW said:
    To try to get accepted into juried shows and a gallery. I’ve submitted to two shows already. 
    […] being an introvert I’m not really crazy about putting myself out there (I guess I’m afraid of rejection) but I’m going to have to get over that if I’m ever going to sell anything I think. 
    I can totally relate to this, @HondoRW. I'm pretty introverted, too, and when I first started I felt that putting my stuff out there to be accepted/rejected/judged was one of the most difficult things I'd ever done. But it's only a feeling and, as Paul says, there are lots of reasons for rejection and none of them are personal.  And the more you put your work out there the easier it gets. I've been rejected lots of times for heaps of shows but I've also been accepted into quite a few. My take on it is that you have to go through the rejections to get to the acceptances. And when they come they are sweet and encourage you to keep entering your work. Which is good because many galleries find their painters from shows/competitions which is how I (and I think Paul) got found. 

Apart from the entry fee (if there is one) you have nothing to lose by entering shows. And works often sell at shows. So hang in there. The acceptances will come.  :)
    ArtGalPaulBHondoRWForgiveness
  • Thanks for the encouragement @tassieguy. Sounds like solid advice from you and Paul. 
    Forgiveness
  • I will be painting more independently, relying more on my own resourcefulness with all I have learned and continue to learn, while continuing to develop in a loose and painterly style. I am absolutely loaded with great knowledge and I expect to be painting more but this style is not necessarily so fast, but occasionally yes.
     I am in process of planning to compete and exhibit.
     I think I would like to attend courses and classes locally, these are reasonably priced and I have no budget, impossible for me at this time.
    ArtGal
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    My goals are more figure drawing and portraits, a couple of three-person shows and deliberately not going after every show I can. Also feeding a gallery with new works. There are some big changes also, so I have to weather that first.
    ArtGal
  • Complete 12 paintings,...at least my Fab four is killing me but soldiering on
  • PaulB said:
    My goals are more figure drawing and portraits, a couple of three-person shows and deliberately not going after every show I can. Also feeding a gallery with new works. There are some big changes also, so I have to weather that first.
    @PaulB  now i'm curious - what changes? :)  hope you're not going to leave forum?