Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

2019 - How did it go?

By my own measure, I have to say that 2019 has been a mixed bag for me.  I painted my best landscape yet.  I started one painting I thought would be epic and it was!  An epic failure!  I tried to fix another and had to set it aside because it just needed to rest.  I was not ready to commit another hundred hours to it yet.  I started a portrait and it it was a good learning experience because it was from life.  But then the model moved away and I could not finish it.  So I started another from a photo and it went very well until... I quit working on it, 4 months ago, and I have not touched a brush since.  It was surprising to me how long it had been.

But it is strange how these things work.  Almost like one door closing and another door opening.  I turned ten bowls on my new lathe.  I tossed 4 of them but the other 6 are pretty cool.  I made a sweet hexagonal gazebo shaped bird feeder.  Its very nice yard art.  I made a glass top occasional table as a love offering for our sister church.  That was as good a piece as I can make.

And crazy as it sounds, I wrote some new music and completed work on a song I started in 2002.  

So why this diary entry?  I need to paint.  I hope I can soon.  Maybe even today.  I bought some great new equipment to help me with composition and color.  Plus, I miss it.  I have a half dozen paintings in my head ready to find canvas.  I just have to do it.  My last really satisfying work was posted Sep 2018.  That's too long. 

Happy new year to everyone.  I hope to see much more of you in 2020. 
PaulBCJDMichaelDExploretassieguyBoudiccaDiannaanweshaArtGalSummerBOB73Rich_A

Comments

• Hope to see more paintings by you soon Mike :)
    MikeDerbycadiaSummerBOB73
  • Although odd years don't go that well for me...2019 gave me some solid ideas about how to move forward in the near future. I'm painting faster, going to book my cards and move forward with whatever obstacles I have. 
    tassieguyPaulBArtGalSummer
  • edited January 2
    I've a had very good year of 50% learning, 50% painting, which translates to "I got to paint more" and my 1st year of being happy for it. My first 3 years were 85% learning and 15% painting. I changed my painting style to something looser and impasto, and now using new paint. I spent much time and effort redesigning my studio and cleaning it out of stuff I don't need, I still can't believe the mess of my place, but I love the progress. I also spent more time outdoors, scouting for photos for new paintings, very challenging with a phone camera but something is working for now. I have my pochade box with tripod as an extra easel in the studio, and one more to come. I've been doing research into competitions and art shows, possible grants available, getting myself prepared for events like that. I'm looking forward to painting even more and put more of what I've been learning into practise. One of the highlights of my past year was learning to "tube" my own mixes of paint, 18+ colors total, in a process called "tubing". I will be doing this again sometime soon with a whole new mix for stronger impasto style. I may be working more independently and I will certainly be painting even more, one way or another. This past year I spent more time painting from photos, this is about to change to include set up still lifes and portraiture in my studio. I lost another sister and my father that I tended to this past year. I owe myself a visit to the national gallery here, it's been ages. This will be a study visit, on oil painting, portraiture, landscapes, and still lifes. I plan to take photos and share them, this will be a new learning experience for me. I like how I'm keeping my painting experience like it is still new, rather fresh and exciting in some way!
    ArtGalSummertassieguyBOB73
  • I finished and submitted 3 paintings to a 12" x 12" fundraising show and sold all 3! All submitted paintings or other art, sculpture, and etc had to take up/fit into a 12 x12 space (12 x12x 12 for 3D art). Each piece would have a price of $144. Half goes to the artist and half to the fundraising. This challenge worked well to get me to be more spontaneous, paint more quickly and not be so exacting. The show is eagerly looked forward to by my local art community and gives all members of the Association time to check in with each other. I do miss having contact with the buyers and wonder if Art Galleries are in any way obligated to let the artist know the buyers' name if asked, does anyone know? 
    tassieguyArtGalBOB73
  • Well I only painted two paintings this year. I was able to complete one to my liking and am pretty happy with it. The other was a large figurative portrait in the style of Sargent. A lot of it came out good, but there are three areas that I still am unhappy with. So I have set it aside until I can attend some classes that will help me paint gold, cool facial colors and roses. I also taught several Foundations in Oil Painting courses this year that went exceptionally well. So overall I had a good year. If I had to characterize it I would say it has been my year of learning. I will be moving from Texas to Fair hope, Alabama this year (2020) but will stay in touch with the forum. The town was originally an artist colony and has a solid art community and is on Mobile Bay, so I should have some great landscape subjects. I am looking forward to a new adventure.
    SummerArtGalBOB73
  • Happy New Year. Frogs? I'm trying to get rid of them. well 2019 is gone and I'm still here. That's about all the success I had a right to hope for back in 2018. I still haven't completed a painting nor have a studio set up. When the weather is good I go outside and practice mixing colors trying to match values on the grayscale or making my favorite greens, oranges and ochres . I'm glad the forum has attracted so many newcomers in 2019 and you all have had such wonderful successes in your art even if you  did have some setbacks and interruptions. I look forward to having this forum to come to in 2020. @Boudicca, get a whole fish, wrap it in wet newspaper and leave it next to the pond. That will attract frogs if you don't mind the smell. It's the larvae that come out of the wrapping that attracts the frogs. @tassieguy I admire your courage for jumping into a completely new lifestyle with such a positive outlook. Good luck and I think after you've been rubbing shoulders with your new "townie" friends for a while, that you will be inspired to paint subjects from your new surroundings.
    ArtGal
  • edited January 15
    Roman, that's a lovely landscape. I like the composition and the colours and brushwork are gorgeous. Nice frame, too. And I love the 'Silence' sketch for the same reasons.  They are beautiful, intimate, little landscapes that I would love to hang in my house. :)
  • Hopefully all the troubles are over, Roman. your landscapes are beautiful  :)
  • Your landscapes are so lovely.  Makes me wish I could be there looking at that scene in person.
  • Both those landscapes are really nice. Hope you get back into painting in 2020.
  • romanroman -
    edited January 15
    @tassieguy, @ArtGal, @oilpainter1950, @Richard_P thanks for so lovely words, they inspire me, but I still fill myself like a man who try to reach the unreachable stars. Your art is a good example for me. 
    ArtGal