Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Figure painting demonstration start to finish

Here is an interesting link to a full length figure/portrait painting session from a live model.
 The approach is a bit different from Marks but you can see a lot of overlap.
the discussion and question/answers are informative.

they talk about drawing; from large shapes to small, using point, line and angle and seeing shapes.  Similar to what mark talks about.   However they start from gesture drawing.
they talk about light source, on the model and their canvas , which is 3200 kelvin and 4300?
they use a much wider palette.  
They talk about how learning to paint is about learning to observe what you see.
They talking about painting what you see and about pushing colors and diverting from the observed subject.
There is a lot of talk about their school program but that’s interesting too.

All in all it’s an interesting and inspiring demonstration 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xRBl20GhwII

dencal

Comments

• At about 3:24 an interesting topic they talk about is how they develop the painting slowly.  They don’t go straight into the finished painting.  In the DMP paintings I’ve done I’ve gone straight into the finished work leaving only a few highlights at the end. 

This makes me question if my paintings are too tight.  Should I loosen up, and if so, how much?

Another question one of the commentators answered at about 3:32 was “why do you paint?”  Which is an interesting question I think look at every now and then.
  • CJDCJD -
    edited December 2019
    It's nice experimenting and trying various approaches. Doing this on smaller panels especially, and doing it with paint that dries faster and can be painted over without having to wait a week.

Experimenting can also help you figure out what you like.

I personally am painting now in a way in which I can finish the painting in 2 or 3 days before colors go matte. With Geneva paint it wasn't a concern but without it paints can dry and go matte so fast and I don't want to deal with oiling out or anything like that. I don't really paint that loose but brushstrokes are all visible and there is texture and impasto. Works for me - fun to paint, convenient, and looks like paintings I like. Started an owl painting yesterday and will finish today - style is the same as the last one. Paint some bigger shapes fast then go back and refine a bit and that's it. Paint gets tacky enough over night I can add clean brushstrokes on top the next day.