Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

help with color mixing

hey richard here , i am new to the site ,i have watched all the free videos on youtube i purchased how to paint realism from the drwmixpaint site. In those lessons the part i needed the most is cut off in video 2 about color mixing. I understand that there is no such thing as flesh tones but i cannot find any examples of mixing colors for dark flesh tones... yes i have the color finder , yes i am using the limited pallet as Marc teaches but i need more  examples.. i been painting this picture and its been days and i cannot get the colors right in my painting ... i also havent found any examples of marc painting from a picture....HELP PLEASE BELLOW IS THE REFERENCE PICTURE

Comments

• dencaldencal -
    edited December 2019

hebrew1985

This book is useful for skin tones, about $9

https://www.amazon.com/Color-Mixing-Recipes-Portraits-Combinations/dp/1560109904

Whilst there is a range of values the basis of the colors are raw sienna for the lighter skin tones, Indian red in the mid tones and burnt umber for the shadows.

Here is Mark’s video on how to mix any color with the Geneva palette.

Denis

DiannakaustavM
  • @dencal thank you so much that book looks amazing i have ordered it , i can probably figure it out but with the limited pallet thats a whole other world thank you , just need more practice
  • edited December 2019
    this came with my Golden color mixing therory set, it's all that has helped me with skin tone. 
    hebrew1985
  • Mark's color mixing video (linked about by @dencal) is far better than any list of color ratios.  Watch the video, practice color mixing and you'll never need a chart like this again.
    tassieguyhebrew1985DiannaBOB73
  • thanks guys so much great information 
  • See if you can find a John Howard Sanden video titled Color Mixing for Portraiture.  Sanden, like all the other recommendations you have received, is not the be-all and end-all, but his method uses a very basic palette that can be easily modified to make many, many flesh tones from this simple beginning palette.  He also has several youtube videos that will give you, if nothing else, an introduction to how he operates.  Like a lot of simple systems, or limited palette systems, he gives you a point of departure.  As you grow in your work, you will find it easy to adapt his, or Mark's methods to your needs.  Also bear in mind that art takes a lifetime to learn, and many need two or three lifetimes to get it right.  The more you practice art, the more you will envy mathematicians . . .  once you learn that 2 plus 2 equals 4, you never have to learn that again.  But when learn that red and yellow equals orange, but there are many reds and yellows, and thus, many oranges  . . . well . . . you see what I mean. 
  • Here's another of M. Carder's videos dealing with flesh tones. at about 14 minutes there's a pretty little black girl that he discusses. but it all boils down to color checking and painting what you see even if it's purple or green it's still the flesh tones that are there and that you would see if you were there in person. Good luck.

• What I do is pick the darkest spot to match and match its value by mixing burnt umber and yellow without worrying too much about the color.  Then I correct the color by asking the questions: too much red? too much orange?  etc., mixing in small amounts of the complementary color, correcting the value if necessary, and repeating the process.  (See When satisfied, I save what I mixed, then lighten the value a small amount with yellow and/or white and repeat the whole process with a lighter spot.  Eventually, this gives me a color group for the flesh tones.  I apply paint I mixed, of the correct value, to the places for that value and don't worry too much about the color match.  If I really don't like the color match, I can mix another batch with that same value and an adjusted color, but skin tones vary so much that it I rarely need to do that.

• That's a dark brown skin color. if you are using burnt umber then you'll have to lighten it with a combo of yellow and slight amount of white.