Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

David Leffel: Still life with orange.

Short interesting video about edges.

Comments

• @MichaelD     It's interesting to understand the logic behind painting 3D images in the way this man explains, but what I love about the Carder method is that you don't have to use any logic at all. You simply pay attention to the values, colors and shapes and it all works out ---   Soooo easy
    tassieguy
  • Nice bit of instructional video.  I do like his artwork.  It has an old world painterly feel.
  • edited December 2019
    @Dianna, I agree. We beginning realists want first to know how to translate what we see into paint on canvas. That's the basic goal of the aspiring realist.  Once we have the technical means to do that down pat,  the sort of heuristics Leifel talks about in this video can be very useful when we want to go beyond what we are seeing. And, surely, this must be what we are ultimately aiming for. And this is where it gets hard  We don't want to be merely flesh and blood equivalents of cameras and digital printers. We want to be able to produce something such mindless machines can't. It's hard. No wonder painters turn to complete abstraction. But, then, if I dicker with my printer,  I can get it to mindlessly spit out all sorts completely random colourful stuff, some of which might,  these days, win a big painting competion if translated into paint on a big enough canvss.
    Painting reslism is hard.  :/  
    ArtGal
  • Good points @tassieguy.  We don’t know what we don’t know.  I’ve found that learning to paint real realism opened my eyes (and continues to open them) to understanding light (value) and color.  Mark mentions that for realists composition and subject matter are the big things that define your work aside from technical skill.  Defining beauty is a slippery thing.  We all have a different take on that.  What is the old adage “Beauty is truth and truth is beauty” or something like that.
    At this point, for me anyway, the thrill is painting what I see.  When I get out of my way and just observe what is there the painting almost paints itself and I feel so happy inside.  I’m just enjoying all of that for now.  
    ArtGaltassieguy
  • edited December 2019
    @Dianna, I hadn't really thought about comparing them. For me if I can gain or learn something from someones demonstration then its all good. What I got from this was his view on the importance of edges.

I have heard that painting is partly about problem solving, I think logic is good for doing that.

I guess I am not looking for easy either. In fact, challenging myself and being able to overcome or solve issues when I am painting is part of the enjoyment.

I think @tassieguy point "this video can be very useful when we want to go beyond what we are seeing. And, surely, this must be what we are ultimately aiming for." chimes with me.

Of course Mark`s method of simply paying attention to values colours and shapes is sound advice. I think he also encourages you to find your own way once you have grasped and embedded that advice.
    tassieguy