Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

How $150,000 Hyperrealistic Murals Come To Life

Folks

Some jobs just need a whole bunch of premixed values.

How $150,000 Hyperrealistic Murals Come To Life

Denis

MichaelD

Comments

• Back when I did outdoor murals for a billboard company we did the same sort of thing, pouncing a charcoal filled “dust” bag on a paper drawing of the image.  But we used a pinwheel to roll on the image to make the little holes.  We also had lots of tin cans filled with enamel paint.  Over time the paint would dry out and make a seal of paint on top.  We’d take that off and thin the paint back down to reuse it.
    We would also clean the wall and wipe it with Xylol to clean and soften any existing paint film on the wall. That helped make the new paint stick better.
    We didn’t do a lot of those but that was the technique to use.
    dencal
  • Thanks @Dencal  - very good info I can pass to one of my clients
    dencal
  • Interesting. The tracing of value changes is similar to the process I use for starting my paintings.
    dencal
  • Premixing hue, value and chroma caught me right away.  Premixing colors and values has had a bad rap and continues to take abuse from "pure of heart artsy-types" to this day.  But we've seen how effective it is when put to use, and especially for art on this scale. 
    dencal
  • Folks

Just for the record this pouncing technique is identical to how the ancient Greeks and Romans painted frescos on wet plaster.

Denis