Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Old fake?

edited November 12 in General Discussion
Hello fellow painters. I was at a flea market the other day and came across this oil landscape painting. I wasn't sure if it was an authentic antique or not but it seems to have all the characteristics of an old picture. Darkened colors (looks a bit bright here), old wood frame, wrinkles or cracks on the surface, a small hole in the center near the top, linen canvas nailed on with tacks. The picture measures 20" x 31" more or less. The frame isn't so old so I'm wondering if it's just an imitation antique. I've come across a few of those before. I really can't tell this time. Maybe someone here can tell? Thanks. 

Comments

• Leo2015

All of the characteristics you identified have been artfully faked by forgers. Are the tacks rusty?
    Unable to find any image matches on Google (3,8 billion searched).
    It is quite impossible to discern a fake from photos. Even images as good as those you have posted.
    However, the structural integrity, surface uniformity and color consistency of this canvas tells me it is very new. Have a look on google for images of ‘old canvas paintings’ of equivalent age, they are furry, stained and mid brown.

Denis

Leo2015
  • dencal said:
    Leo2015

All of the characteristics you identified have been artfully faked by forgers. Are the tacks rusty?
    Unable to find any image matches on Google (3,8 billion searched).
    It is quite impossible to discern a fake from photos. Even images as good as those you have posted.
    However, the structural integrity, surface uniformity and color consistency of this canvas tells me it is very new. Have a look on google for images of ‘old canvas paintings’ of equivalent age, they are furry, stained and mid brown.

Denis

I have doubts about it because i have come across other "old" paintings at the flea market but they are not intended to be forgeries. It's just a look that some people like. I call them "imitation antiques". An old print put on canvas and brushed over with a brownish varnish and mounted on the wooden bars with tacks. But this one doesn't look as obviously fake as those do. The canvas on this one looks very frail and the stretcher bars look old and dirty. Over all, the painting itself looks kind of dark hanging on the wall. For ten bucks it's not a bad picture even if it is fake. 
  • I googled this image of an antique painting executed in a similar style for comparison. 
    dencal
  • It could be genuine. @Leo2015. If not it's a good fake. For ten bucks you can't go wrong really. The frame alone must be worth more than that. I'd buy it. :)
    Leo2015