Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

KEEPING YOUR PALLETE FRESH?

Hi, I see Mark in the videos with lots of diferent colors allready pre-mixed for his painting..I am wondering,,,How to keep them fresh if you are not going to finish your painting in one day....Any suggestions?   Thanks in advance.

Comments

• I paint slowly, so I mix colors for only the section that I am currently working on.  And it takes me about a week to finish a section.  For example background, table, vase, etc.
    after each section I clean the palette and retain the color swatches to match later if I need them.  I may also retain some mixed paint if it is still open.
    The first couple paintings I did I mixed all colors and I found that didn’t work for me.
    This is just what is working for me now and may change later.
    kelonio
  • GTO said:
    I paint slowly, so I mix colors for only the section that I am currently working on.  And it takes me about a week to finish a section.  For example background, table, vase, etc.
    after each section I clean the palette and retain the color swatches to match later if I need them.  I may also retain some mixed paint if it is still open.
    The first couple paintings I did I mixed all colors and I found that didn’t work for me.
    This is just what is working for me now and may change later.
          Thanks for your advice...i was thinking more on a oil or system that will allow to help the paint stay open...   : )
  • I use 4oz walnut oil with 2 tsp of clove for sdm 
    Fir burnt umber I add 3 tsp clove for 37 ml tube of paint.
    For brush dip I use 2oz safflower and 1/2 tsp if clove 
    I use no solvents at all.
  • You can also use Plastic snap cap containers that you can buy in a craft store.  Small ones work really well.  You can add a marble to take up space if you need to and you will have paint for a long time.  I use Mark's slow dry medium and it works really well.
    dencal
  • I put a few drops of clove oil on a cotton ball and tape it to the underside of the top of my palate box.
    It really helps keep the paint open.
    CJD
  • I use water mixable oil paint.  They dry out very quickly -(couple days) on Mark"s palette. I cover it to keep air out but doesn't work very well. I welcome any suggestions. thanks in advance
  • What brand? Pigments? Store in the dark helps some pigments a lot.
  • Explore

Using small containers as shown in the link above, along with Mark’s SDM will keep water mixables open for two years for the stock colors and six weeks for mixed values.

Denis

• PaulBPaulB mod
    I would like to say something that goes against all this advice, in the interest of balance.

It is not necessary to keep paints open. Put out less paint on the palette, mix small amounts, clean the palette after each session, and there is never an issue with paint drying on the palette. If re-mixing colors is onerous, practise to make it easier, it's just another skill.

Painting Alla Prima means you don't have to keep paint open on the canvas.

Not using SDM yields a better paint film. Not using old paint off the palette yields a better paint film.
    dencalArtGalBOB73tassieguy
  • PaulB

I hear your balanced viewpoint buuuut if you have a family, friends, pets, television, emails, garden, hobbies, exercise, employment, house projects, shopping, cleaning, cooking then painting is something that may get an hour or two a week. In quieter times an hour or two a day. Cleaning the palette each session would see 60% of my precious oils go in the bin.

The small container method allows you to start and stop at will with no waste and no cleanup or setup time. Painting with values directly from the container is cheap, clean, efficient and convenient. Paint values are there weeks later for the inevitable touch up, remainders for toning the next canvas.

No single method suits everyone but the alternatives are worth exploring.

Denis

PaulB
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    Denis,

Completely agree, no single method suits all. This is why I like to resist the SDM approach.

P
  • It all goes back to what all the experts say: you have to experiment (with materials; methods; techniques and everything to find what works for you.