Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

How do you paint?

Just a bit of fun...
I'm wondering what people do working at the easel? what music do they listen to if any or do they have a TV or radio on in the background or do they prefer silence?
Be interesting to see what is involved in the experience of painting a piece because in a way that is part of process and therefore must be a subtle part of the final work

Comments

• I like to put music on via headphones, tends to be modern music on the radio.
  • When I'm painting with little brushes I listen to Mozart, Sinatra or the like but when I paint with big brushes I gotta hear Beethoven, ZZ Top, Led Zeppelin etc. But  silence is OK too especially when mixing color groups, trying to figure out composition. For cleaning up I like to have a 12 minute version of "Sing, Sing, Sing" from Benny Goodman's 1938 Carnegie concert with Harry James  and Gene Krupa.
      Also get a glimpse of New York City as it was before WWII.
  • edited October 19
    I most prefer silence as 1st choice, I get it when I can,
     but most often have to work under headphones; often classical, meditation music (old school and new), I enjoy old rock concerts from some of my most favorite bands from 60's & 70's.
     I also enjoy listening to talks by some of my most favorite people & topics (healthy living, death & dying, inspiration, motivation & attitude development, philosophy and art).

All the fun stuff, Lol!
  • Sometimes I listen to music but I turn it down low, like background sound.
    Most of the time it’s just silent. That’s when the time goes by fast.
  • edited October 28
    ABC Radio National for news, current affairs, the arts, science... Or ABC Classic FM if I just want music. I don't usually like silence, especially not at night  because, alone in my shed painting in the wilds of Tasmania, I feel like the only person in the world ...  I don't like that feeling. Thank goodness for the ABC. The rabid, right wing shock jocks and Faux News bulletins on commercial talk-back radio make me want to throw dung. Not the sort of painting I like to do.  :)
  • Silence.  However,  I really like the Benny Goodman selection  with Gene Kruppa that @BOB73  mentioned.  Kruppa was a great drummer.  I grew up listening to music from the 30's and 40's.  My dad was a professional musician during that time period.
    BOB73
  • I seem to be able to work better listening to music, or lately, podcasts. True crime podcasts. Stops me listening to my inner critic and just go with the flow. 
    BOB73
  • Intothevoid

Has to be BBC World Service. A nice balance of politics, economics, science and the arts.
    For comic relief I play spot the Anglo-Centrism in the broadcast.

Denis

• Glad to see you are still around @Boudicca I worried that since you found success you had forgotten about us common folks.