Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

gesso?

So does acrylic gesso dry out your paints.I normally put 3coats in my cotton canvas when I stretch my Canvases.is that enough

Comments

• There may be types of gesso that do not suck the oil out of your paint, but all that I have tried did. I don't think the number of coats is as much the issue as simply the fact that oil moves through it. One coat of stain (as prepared in the tutorial vid I made) will create enough of a seal or barrier, you could even paint two coats of stain. Add a couple of drops (I mean literally 2 - 3 drops) of linseed oil to the second coat of stain. This will make sure you do not break the "fat over lean" rule - the top layer of paint should have a higher percentage of oil than the layer under it. This keeps your paint from developing cracks as it dries.
    VangieGary
  • dencaldencal -
    edited November 2012
    The purpose of gesso is to provide an absorbent layer so as to form a bond with the oil paint. "Gesso" is Italian for chalk. Very absorbent in the traditional form.

If you want to provide an impenetrable barrier between the oil paint and the canvass perhaps you should be using an acrylic sealer/primer.

Denis
  • edited November 2012
    Most books and other sources of information claim that acrylic primer is an excellent barrier against oil absorption. One authoritative poster on the WetCanvas forum said he didn't trust the acrylic primer on pre-primed canvas to be sufficient and always sanded it followed by at least two or three more coats of thinned Grumbacher acrylic primer with sanding after every coat. That procedure always gave him good results.

Mark's Slow Drying Medium, however, is fairly unique with the addition of a substantial quantity of clove oil. Ostensibly, it's added to dramatically slow the drying of the paint more than the other ingredients can do alone, but clove oil is a very powerful, very "hot" chemical that has been observed to damage or distort various types of plastic. I'm just wondering if this is the reason that Mark has had poor experiences with acrylic primer under his paint. Acrylic is a type of plastic that may be susceptible to the action of clove oil, it may degrade the acrylic or allow some penetration through the acrylic film. This possibility, taken together with the extra slow drying time, may account for the absorption problems Mark has experienced.
  • I just started a new painting..when I went to look at it the next day most of it was dried out to the touch.with the SDM.. :-?
  • Did you stain the canvas, or did you paint on top of gesso. It sounds like oil getting sucked out of your paint? Does your SDM have all the oil of cloves in it? What colors?
  • I'm using SDM with Mark's suggestions for each color, the support also primed per instructions. So far, so good.
  • Hey mark yes I stained my canvas..I am using. The Delq I just purchased..it looks like the entire painting.all colors
  • tjstjs -
    edited November 2012

Hey mark yes I stained my canvas..I am using. The Delq I just purchased..it looks like the entire painting.all colors

Not sure if this is your problem but that happened to me with one of my paintings cause I was just 'staining the canvas' as opposed to actually painting on the canvas.

If you layered before when you painted? You have to use a lot more paint! I know those people who use the indirect method use very little paint per layer - it's just a staining process.

Make sure the paints you used to mix with the medium is NOT oil paints that are oil alkyds.

Right now I"m working on a painting while I"m sitting at the hospital with my mom during the day. Still Mark's method minus the slow dry medium (hospital wouldn't allow it). My painting is still wet after a week. And I'm not using the slow dryer.

• Tell my internet Mom is said hi and thinking of her!
  • Yeah that could be it Maybe it was applied too thin..my paints are not alkyds..so for this i.e. I will have to finish sections at a time blending and all..
  • I hate painting on gesso. Much prefer a smooth canvas then Marks stain.
  • Yeah that could be it Maybe it was applied too thin..my paints are not alkyds..so for this i.e. I will have to finish sections at a time blending and all..

I'm glad it's not the paints! You waited so long to get the medium and to even think that everything you mixed up would have to be thrown out would have been terrible. I thought about this throughout the day!

I sure hope it works for you. If you are use to layering it will take some getting use to it. I've layered and now that I'm use to this method I would never layer again.

Liz I have no idea how you can paint on those slippery surfaces @-)
  • edited November 2012
    I know.Rt
    I like to paint on masonite or mds wood too
  • I use a smooth portrait grade linen on a board now and do the stain Mark's way. It has some tooth to it but I don't have to stretch it and easier to store and ship.
    cynthiagwilson
  • What brand and where do you get that, Liz? :-?