Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Quality Acrylic Paint

I have my Geneva oil paints, but I'm looking to do some acrylic painting.  Not finding any solid info using Google searches.  I would appreciate your opinions on brands of quality acrylic paint.  Thanks.
enholm

Comments

• Denis: The first two are student grades. I suggest looking at Professional Grade paints for some pigments.

As with oils, some pigments are fine in student grades, and others are too weak. There is more difference in pigment strength between student and artist grades in acrylics than in oils in my experience.
    dencal
  • Golden makes very high quality acrylics, not cheap though. They also make an “open” range that stay workable for far longer than regular acrylic paint, more like oils.
    PersiaConnorDios
  • I was looking at Golden Open.   Thanks, all, for the info.
    PersiaConnorDios
  • I've used Golden OPEN a lot, if you can get used to paint drying in 1-2 hours then they work well (although pigment load is less than other artist grade acrylics).

You can get starter sets with a range of small tubes to see if you like them or not.
    ConnorDios
  • I just tried Golden Open acrylics for the first time. They feel a little oily but the coverage is good. Before I applied the Open acrylics I put a base color down with regular acrylics. Then I tried some blending in a couple of areas with the open. I added a little water and I was able to blend easier than with regular acrylics. I will continue the base layer with regular acrylics and do some Open experiments as I go.
    I did not use the Open thinner. If you add water and/or regular acrylics it shortens the workable time but blending seems to work better.
  • The open thinner is very good. It's quite slippery and thins the paint to a more fluid consistency while keeping the open time.
  • So I decided to ask an expert in the field of wildlife art.  I met Scot Storm at the duck stamp competition, and we spoke a few times.  He uses Liquitex Soft Body paints and Scharff brushes, with incredible results. Here is his website:

https://www.scotstorm.com/
  • Incredible indeed! Not sure how he gets such soft blends with quick drying acrylics :)
  • I tried some blending in a couple of areas with the open. I added a little water and I was able to blend easier than with regular acrylics. I will continue the base layer with regular acrylics and do some Open experiments as I go.
  • Golden is generally the go to product. Greg "Craola" Simkins I believe is an exclusive Golden artist, most likely sponsored. He works with a lot of slow dry mediums and washes to create wonderful backgrounds and foregrounds. He blends everything. I think he is self taught from an early career as a graffiti artist. https://gregsimkinsart.com/
  • I recommend Tooli-Art 30 Acrylic Paint Pens 
    dries very easily and doesn't fade easily, 30 different color in the set. Pen tip size of 0.7mm
    or another acrylic paint pens
    Morfone Acrylic paint pens
    Works pretty well on smooth surfaces like stones and glass and dries very quickly

BOB73
  • @WIKEN hey i didn’t realize how old this thread was, but maybe this will still help someone who sees it. I’d be interested to k le what you ended up doing and if you like acrylic painting or not (:

I am personally making the full switch into oils, but have a lot of experience in acrylic. I personally wouldn’t use anything but golden, they have the highest pigment loads possible in acrylics and the nicest quality and selection of pigment and mediums. go with the heavy body or the open line. If you use the golden heavy body, then you can add either golden retarder or golden gloss glazing liquid to your paint in order to extend drying time to work something like the open line. I personally prefer to add my own slow dry medium to the heavy Body paint because you can control which layers of your painting that you want to be wet for a long time to blend, but still have the ability to paint a dried background in a few minutes if you want by excluding the retarder for those sections. I really like to control every possible aspect of my paint though, especially when working in acrylic because it is already so much of a challenge. if you don’t care about controlling the exact drying time of different layers, then go with the open line if your painting realism. If you don’t need to blend much, or are making “modern” or abstract art then I would stick with the heavy body paint because the consistency is nicer in my opinion and the pigment and Medium selection is also wider. You can also mix the golden open medium into normal heavy body paint to extend drying time that way as well, but I prefer just a little retarder (1 part retarder to 8 parts paint) although I am about to sell all of my acrylic paint and supplies to buy geneva oils,” and oil brushes, I currently use almost only these five golden heavy body pigments + a little retarder for everything:

1. Quinacridone crimson (don’t get the alizarin crimson hue because it is a mixture of pigments and doesn’t mix well at all. It’s almost nothing like the real thing when mixed and just makes dull browns.

2. Cadmium yellow medium (sits very evenly between cool and warm, you can check for color bias of all golden pigments on their website. The cadmium light is pretty close to green/cool)

3. Ultramarine blue

4. burnt umber

5. Titanium white
  • WIKEN said:
    I have my Geneva oil paints, but I'm looking to do some acrylic painting.  Not finding any solid info using Google searches.  I would appreciate your opinions on brands of quality acrylic paint.  Thanks.
    I used Artistro paint pens to paint an underwater scene on a large stone. I ordered both the thin and wide water based acrylic pens so that I could try a full range of possibilities with this product. As a professional artist who sells their work I normally paint with high quality fluid acrylics and brushes. Paint pens were a departure for me, and I was pleasantly surprised with how vibrant the hues were, and I thought that they covered well too