Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Right handed. Reference position would be att left or right?

Comments

• It doesn't matter, go with whatever feels best.
  • PaulB said:
    It doesn't matter, go with whatever feels best.
    So there is no rule? I see many reference at left 
  • I tape my reference to a board and lay it across my lap.  The top of the board actually leans against the easel at a slant.
  • lillo9546 said:
    PaulB said:
    It doesn't matter, go with whatever feels best.
    So there is no rule? I see many reference at left 
    There are no rules.

Sometimes it's helpful to invent rules, simply to take away indecision, and get people to focus on painting. So if Mark says get a #5 and #8 filbert, it makes things easy, those are good general purpose brushes, so you just buy those instead of fretting over dozens of different brush types, and being overwhelmed by choices. Which medium? Buy Geneva Paint with medium mixed in - no need to research different mediums and get overwhelmed by all the choices, chemistries and toxins. Which colors to use? Use a primary palette and don't worry about different paint colors.

DMP simplifies and specifies a lot, so you can ignore the complexities and get painting.

It doesn't matter whether you fix your reference image to the left or the right of your easel. Just paint.
  • Try it left ,right above and below and see what works best for you. You'll find from reading previous threads that sometimes we even go sideways and/or upside down.