Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Lights is the studio

Hi All....My someone answer me how many 5000k light bulbs is needed?...Is it ok if you hang them open as a bulb, or is better to put them like in a tube for controlling direction?   Thanks : )

Comments

• edited August 8
    @kelonio I use 2x 5000k spiral florescent bulb type, simply screw into a socket and hang them open.
    kelonio
  • @kelonio, I found getting the lighting right to be a bit experimental. Here's my current set-up. 
    https://forum.drawmixpaint.com/discussion/8880/cheap-and-bright-led-studio-lights#latest
    I find I don't often need the third light.
    Forgivenesskelonio
  • kelonio

Mark has has some good advice for you here.

Denis

Ephramkelonio
  • I'm really struggling finding a good lighting situation.
    Maybe I'm fretting too much?
    I have 2 portable 5000k LED lights like Roxy which I was going to mount high in the 2 corners of my room until I discovered they were only 70 CRI so now I'm torn between a 5000k 90+ CRI bulb that goes into the standard light fitting, a softbox studio lighting set up 5000k 90+ CRI on a tripod or the crazy idea of getting a self adhesive LED flexible strip https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMEIDD-60LEDs-300LEDs-Non-Waterproof-Bedroom/dp/B07KN112NM/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=led+strip+5000k+90+cri&qid=1565333967&s=lighting&sr=1-7 ,<---- similar to that with a dimmer and mounted along my ceiling.
    It's becoming a bit of an obsession I'm afraid, maybe I'm just over thinking the whole situation.
  • Intothevoid

The lighting solution will will last a long time and will contribute to the success of your studio practice.

CRI is an important measure of a light to render colour on the palette, still life, canvas and photograph This is critical for oil painting. The higher the better but at least 90.
    LED is a cool running, long lasting, stable and uniform spectrum. To get the strength needed, 8000 lumens are best delivered by a long source rather than a point source.

I recommend the Four foot 36 watt, T8 style LEDs in a bank of three or four in parallel, depending on ceiling height. This will give out 11k or 14k lumens but only 5% of this will get to the canvas. 
    Aim for 800 to 1000 lumens at the canvas as architects recommend.

Denis

• @dencal
    Hey thanks for the reply but this is why I'm looking at these solutions as I cannot mess with installing strip light fittings in the property I am in which is why I'm looking at solutions that can run from a mains wall plug or the already available standard ceiling bulb fitting. 
    It's not an ideal situation.
  • dencaldencal -
    edited August 9
    Intothevoid

Each T8 unit has two small screws to fix to the ceiling. I’m using DIY units with cords and plugs into a power board on my paint station. I can move them at will and invisibly fill the holes with premixed plaster.

You can also arrange LED adhesive strips on a self build frame over your work area.

Denis

• @dencal
    Thanks very much for that Denis, could you give me some tips on how to acquire the units. If it's just a case of screwing the fixtures into the ceiling and running it from there into a socket it sounds ideal.
  • Intothevoid

Amazon or eBay. Local lighting stores. Large hardware stores. Industrial / commercial lighting suppliers.
    Photographic studio supplies.

Install in twenty minutes, plug & play. Temporary rig up, wires tucked out of the way.

Denis
  • @dencal Thank you so much Denis, you have been extremely helpful!
    That exact light is pretty easily available from a search here in the UK so that is what I will be getting.
    Are you getting any issues with them being 6000K? I'm assuming they are CRI 90+
    dencal
  • Intothevoid
    Are you getting any issues with them being 6000K?
    Not noticeably, perhaps I am over compensating the cool light by warming my values. Not a bad thing in itself. Eg my landscape yellows are a bit golden.
    I'm assuming they are CRI 90+
    Couldn’t find any info. These units are really for a garage or workshop. When you ask in the mega hardware store about CRI they reply that there will be no tears. I’m keeping my eye out for 90+ at a reasonable price.

Denis

• edited August 10
    @dencal
    Yes, you mention CRI to an assistant in a store and you get a blank stare back mostly  =) It's unfortunate there are no details for this product. 
    6000K is considered 'north facing light' isn't it which is what most artists aim towards.
    It does seem difficult to find a full solution that ticks all the boxes (LED,strip,5000K,CRI 90+Ceiling mounted) but the quest will continue. I've never heard Mark mention CRI in any of his studio set up videos so don't know if he considers it an issue or not?
  • Intothevoid

Extract from Wikipedia ‘North Light’.

North light has luminous efficacy /lm/W 48, Colour correlated temperature/K 6500 and colour rendering index/R is equal to 94.
    North light is the go for the folk in the northern hemisphere. For artists like me in the antipodes South Light is preferred.

CRI was adopted by science in the 1930s. Incandescent was the domestic lighting standard, now supplemented by halogen, fluorescent and LED. Consequently, we need to pay more attention to the colour accuracy of a light source.

Denis

• Everyone keeps talking about different wattage and LED vs. CFL but with all of us using different distances it seems like we are going after a moving target. Wouldn't the best way be to determine what the LUX number we want at the canvas with a cheap LUX meter from Amazon, then change the location or strength of light source to hit that target. The question is what would the ideal LUX number be?
  • The question is what would the ideal LUX number be?
    You can do the calculations and determine the right bulb, quantity of bulbs, and distance from various stations to achieve the correct lumens on the palette and canvas. Correct, in this case means that it meets some international standard for well lit work environments.

Alternatively you can get a nice bright 5000K light and arrange it however you want. I work most of the time with an angle lamp at my right shoulder shining on the palette and panel but not in my eyes, with a single 5000K LED bulb of around 15W. It doesn't need to be complicated.
    alsart
  • For close, detailed work you want 100-200 foot-candles, about 1000-2000 lux.
    By contrast, 'museum lighting" is a tenth of that for conservation; 10 fc. or 100 lux.

A clear day, North Light is 1000 fc. or 10,000 lux. 
    - (Plein air painting in the shade is about CRI 95, 5500/6500K.)
    An overcast day is 100 fc. or 1000 lux.
    Direct Sunlight is 10,000 fc. or 100,00 lux.