Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Lens for full length portraits

Hello! 

I am wondering what lens I need to do full length portraits if I'm using the Olympus OM-D E-M10? Mark's photography guide says you need more than the kit lens but I'd like to understand what lens would be best.  Thank you for your help as always!

Comments

• mmccabe

Here is a tutorial link on panorama photography and photo stitching. This covers the principles of the technique.

https://digital-photography-school.com/shoot-stitch-panorama-photo/

In essence you are dividing the view of your 'man and woman on a couch' into a grid of photo spaces and moving the camera view to take a shot of each square with good overlap on each.

http://www.scantips.com/calc.html

This calculator suggests your pixel goal is 82 megapixels for the size print you want.
    So 82 divided by 16 (your camera) is about 5 shots, call it six to get an even 3 by 2 coverage.
    To allow for a 20% overlap I would estimate 4 by 3, or 12 photos

I would print the stitched photo at canvas size, that is 24 x 38 by means of using ten A4 size prints and feather them together manually with tape.

This is quite a bit of effort but worthwhile. This method pulls a huge resolution improvement out of a modest camera and then pulls a huge resolution improvement out of a modest printer.

Denis
    BobitalyEphram
  • Hi Denis, 

Thank you. I'll have a look and this might be of use to me. My question was about lenses, though. Does anyone have information regarding the lens size needed for good full length portraits? 

• mccabe

The method suggested will give you full length, high resolution portraiture using existing kit.
    Here is the best portraiture lens.

Denis
    Ephram
  • @ Denis, you are an amazing resouce for this site, thanks!  I could spend a couple of days just pulling up your posts and would have an amazing amount of useful relevant information, and resources to turn to for more information. Your generosity is appreciated!
  • Ephram

Thank you for your kind words. Only too glad to help. By doing so I can learn and understand the complexities of drawing, mixing and painting.

Denis