Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

PRINTER

Hi everyone,
can anyone recommend a home printer to buy that does good quality prints but doesn't cost silly money ?

Its mainly to print the photos that I do paintings of.

Thanks

Comments

• MichaelD

I have an Epson Artisan 1430 that cost around $400. The main attributes I wanted were A3 prints at a really high quality prints for painting. I use a cheap multifunction A4 for everything else.

The printer may be called something different in your part of the world.

Denis
    MichaelD
  • dencaldencal -
    edited July 2019
    MichaelD

I must add that the print quality is beautiful. Might only use it for twenty prints a year. About $150 for toner or about $30 for third party products. Setup is simple and operation flawless.

American equivalents will be two thirds of these prices.
    Denis

MichaelD
  • I’ve got this printer too. I’ve found it very good quality and no problems. I think though it has been discontinued and replaced by the Epson surecolour
    MichaelD
  • edited July 2019
    Thanks again @dencal, and @Boudicca,  yes it appears to be no longer available in UK.

The sure colour is close to a whopping and prohibitive £600 (or about $750). But I guess you get what you pay for in terms of quality.

I may just have to stick to popping out to a good printer shop with my memory stick for now.
     :) 
  • edited July 2019
    My Epson 7720 does a great job (after I do my stuff in Affinity Photo or GIMP) and cost about $400. 
    MichaelD
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    I'm not saying this is right for you, but I priced out the cost of the same printer and laminator  Mark uses, plus supplies at around $900. Then I compared it to the cost of a trip to my local office store for an 11" x 17" laminated print (smaller than A3), about $5.  It's next door to a coffee shop, so let's ignore the cost of coffee and snacks, because it completely destroys my case.

I have a magazine rack ($20) for all my printouts, there are 81 of them in total, 32 of which I used for references. There are a lot of "maybes" there, and I may still use parts of them as examples of colors and textures, and how a tree looks, etc. I could have been more thrifty.

So 81 prints at $5, plus the $20, is still under half the cost of a printer/laminator, even ignoring refills.

I don't use printouts any more, so I am glad I didn't buy a printer/laminator, although at only 2 years old, I could probably recoup some of it by selling it.
    MichaelD
  • edited July 2019
    @tassieguy and @PaulB

Thanks for the input, food for thought.

I think I'm swaying more in your direction Paul.

At the moment, and for the few prints I get and require its perhaps not worth me getting one.

I also should be doing more from actual still life rather than photo (though  a combination can be useful)

• I agree with Paul - I have the artisan 1430 and haven't been using it for a while now. Refurbished it was $200 in Canada and it works well but after doing a bunch more paintings you won't need and probably won't want to rely on prints anymore

Making the jump from prints may lead to some failures but it's worth it

The first print I ever got was through a print shops copier (a cheap one) and I still have it and it looks just as good as the artisan prints.

Even with a nice printer the colors always look different so it's good practice to start comparing print colors to what you like in the monitor colors and make slight adjustments that way
    PaulBMichaelD
  • Thanks @CJD, good to know.
  • Currently, I'm using Brother HL-L2370 and am completely satisfied with it. I haven't noticed any serious issues yet, so maybe you can look at this one.