DMP Easel for G

As mentioned in my intro,  I made a lightly modified version of the DMP easel for one of  my daughters.  While I think the screws retention is brilliant, she wanted to be able to switch canvases more readily. 

Comments

• edited July 2019
    I also modified my base to take  a dumbbell.  It makes it easier for some hands, and you can use it for a stress relieving workout as the easel does not fall over when you take it off.  It is also non-maring, and probably easier to find a legal source for in an urban environment. :)

The plywood cheeks really stiffen the base, though they are an unnecessary complication.

dencal
  • edited January 2020

Here is the video for the basic DMP easel:

• This is great! Really important to have.
  • edited January 2020
    I have been getting a few questions about my easel, to which my inevitable first question is "which one", of the three I have posted. So I am adding the Giraffe easel to this thread, and will add more detail about it as I get pictures.  These two are both DMP type easels. I call the metal and wood easel Giraffe, because if does rather feel that way in a room, and people started calling it that around our house.

I got clearance from the ever generous Mark Carder, who's easel mine leans on almost entirely, to add detail if people want it.  I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

ForgivenessBOB73
  • Nice craftsmanship here!
  • This photo shows a cam clamp placed on the carrier board of the DMP easel.  Basically this is the functionality of any fancy carriers you might build to hold your painting.  They will be accessorized in whatever way you want to grip the painting, and you can consider the methods extolled by Mark here:

Or you can fashion standard supports of the tray and top clip type.  But whatever you use they will need to grab the carrier board from the side, and be sturdy enough to hold your work, but not abuse the sides of the pine board, or it will loose it's easy sliding action.  (If you use a hardwood board so it can take more abuse, the weight gets to a point where you may need counterbalance.)

So the system I used was based on a cam clamp, as you can see from the clamp photo below, and the picture of my carrier underneath.  The lightest of activation of the lever, and the panel carrier is frozen in space, yet it is gentle on the materials.

I was in a rush, and my daughter was not after anything fancy, so I used the blocks themselves to clamp the work either from the inside by tension, or the outside through compression.  But you can add virtually any device or decoration, or tray you want to the basic unit, and it will hold on the carrier board.

I made my panels carriers/clamps from scratch, but you can dissect a commercial camp clamp for the parts, they are about 10 dollars each.  And cam clamps are made of wood so they are easy for woodworkers who are immersed in this project to work on. Or you can make clamps that use screws, if you prefer.  However, the action of levers is really sweat compared to screw clamps if they use hardware store level screws.

Of course all this assumes you want the height adjustment feature built into this easel by Mark:  Once the painting is attached to the carrier board, with the panel carriers, the height of the painting can be adjusted without affecting the attachment of the painting to the carrier board.  You can very easily move it to suit sitting or standing, whatever height you want.  If you do not want that adjustability, then the whole easel can be simplified.  You can attach standard panel carriers to the existing slots between the masts, just as with most conventional easels.  The boom and base with weight cost virtually nothing, and even if you use a different easel, these make great stands for paintings or subject mater like photos, or video screens.

Forgiveness
  • Mark's Latest video on eliminating handicaps makes the case for having your painting at eye level.  This is why we go to the trouble of having a mast, carrier board, panel carriers, and painting, so we can have that easy adjustability.  And it hardly costs anything to do it at a functional level.