Grid over image on photoshop

Hi, another technical question I'm afraid. I've got my photo on Photoshop almost ready to print out for a reference. However, I'm stuck on two things:
1: how on earth do I add a grid to the photo and print it with the grid on??

2: I have watched marks video on how to make the print the same size as the paper but it won't allow me to draw the boxes over the area I want. Can anybody help with this please? 

Many thanks 


  • edited May 2019
    That's really useful, @Dencal. Beats doing it by hand with pen and ruler. Grids are very useful, especially in the beginning when we are still struggling with drawing skills. 
  • edited May 2019
    I have a grid that I use often, I marked it out in indelible ink on a durable cellophane sheet. I just attatch it to my photo with masking tape and reuse it.
  • cadiacadia -
    edited May 2019
    This one is quick easy and free, on this site:
  • cadiacadia -
    edited May 2019
    Another way to do it in Photoshop is to open the image and pull guidelines using the rulers. Then take a screenshot by first holding down Command-Option-4 ( all at once) on the keyboard then using your mouse or trackpad to select the image and hear the "Click" it will be saved to your desktop for printing or just looking at 
    on screen.
  • edited May 2019
    Wow thanks for all the brilliant responses! Sorted now, that's saved me ALOT of frustration :)I'll post a picture of the finished painting if it's any good lol 
  • I don't entirely get the grid method.  There are ways to directly copy the picture, and there are ways of assigning the key points if you prefer to have that kind of approach.  I don't see why people would use a grid and then measure.  Just print the photo on regular paper, in black and white, and then poke holes in it, hold it over the canvas and mark the actual key points, then draw.  You can cheat way more than that, but I don't see the specific virtue of using photos, and calipers, when you can just transcribe the points directly.  As one artist said about tracing (doesn't work for me, my hand is steadier when I draw), if you do a really good underdrawing and paint over it, you are getting paid once for two works of art.

    I don't have the programs Mark recommends, so I port the photo into CAD sometimes, and mark the key points then remove the photo, and size the template.  Really quick.
  • TamDeal

    I agree, any graphics program or app can do layers. So dropping the photo into a lower layer and reducing opacity to show both is easy. Can also layer a colour tone, a perspective assist or a grid if you wish.

    To improve observation and eye/hand coordination this is the simplest, photo can be removed and drawing resized for further work.

    While studying the Reilly method I used a two layer technique. In progress here, but plenty of scope for playing around with infinite undo.

    These were done on Procreate but any app should work.


Sign In or Register to comment.