Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Stretch finished canvas

I had to cut down a painting to make it look right. Having a lot of trouble stretching it. Think I might have to glue it to a board, What do you guys think?

Comments

• Gluing it to a board is not a bad idea. It might be the way to go if you're having so much trouble with the stretching.
  • what kind of trouble? I always stretch mine after they are painted.
  • Cut down? If you didn't leave a lot of extra, like ~2" or more all around, to pull on and wrap around the stretcher, gluing to a board may be your only option.
  • CharleyBoy; I have plenty to wrap around, I cant get it smooth, I stretched many canvass . this is the first finished one. driving me nuts. Thanks
  • Thanks guys, I`ll keep trying, cant seem to get all the wrinkles out.
  • hmm, don't know why it would be any different whether a finished painting or plain canvas. sorry.
  • Bill, are you stretching it the way Mark demonstrates in his video?
  • billj said:

I had to cut down a painting to make it look right. Having a lot of trouble stretching it. Think I might have to glue it to a board, What do you guys think?

That will work fine, Mark. I was upset with the way my painting of the little girl (linen) was on a warping piece of plywood so I VERY carefully pulled it off. It was glued on with Miracle Muck. Then I glued it to a new piece of Gatorboard. It worked great!
    G

• Gary; Yes doing it as instructed, the canvas seems to be too stiff.
    garrykravit; I think that's the way I`ll go with this painting.
    Thanks Guys
  • I was just curious Bill.....I've not tried to stretch a painted canvas on normal stretcher bars as demoed by Mark. I've done like Garry and glued them to mdf. I have put a painted canvas on a these type frames (see below) and they work great. When you tap in the corner pieces, the canvas gets a final little stretch that results in a very nice flat firm surface. :)
    http://www.stretcherbardepot.com/
    Harrell
  • Gary; Those stretcher bars look like they will do the job, if anything their over kill. they look expensive, I will get one set for a sample then make my own, if I like them. I made a dozen panels this week, many different sizes. I used Birch 1/4' plywood, with 1 1/2" bars. Three coats of Gesso sanded between coats, this makes a excellent surface. The cost is very low compared to buying any premade canvas, and they are very durable, no worries about damaging the surface, with dents and cuts. do not use paneling nails because they don't sit deep enough, use finishing nails then set them with a nail set, then fill the hole. done correctly the panels will outlast canvas, in my opinion. This is the way I will go. Thanks
    Gary