Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Slow Dry Medium

Can someone share how they measure out the "parts" to the medium ? What vessel do you use to divide these parts accurately?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• PaulBPaulB mod
    Anything.  Spoonfuls, buckets, cups, ml.  It's about ratios.  You choose the absolute quantities.
  • dencaldencal -
    edited April 2019
    Buddy

The pivot component of the recipe is Venetian turpentine, as it is the most expensive part.

recipe for slow-dry medium (for all colors except titanium white):

• 10 parts odorless mineral spirits (any artist-grade odorless mineral spirits will do)
    • 5 parts stand oil or linseed stand oil (this is viscous like honey and is not the same as refined linseed oil)
    • 1 part refined linseed oil
    • 5 parts Venice turpentine *
    • 2 parts oil of cloves †
    So if you have a 210ml bottle of VT each part is worth 210/5= 42ml 

The recipe converts to
    • 420ml odorless mineral spirits
    • 210ml stand oil or linseed stand oil 
    • 42ml refined linseed oil
    • 210ml Venice turpentine *
    • 84ml oil of cloves †
    Nearly a litre of Slow Dry Medium

It pays to get a graduated beaker from kitchen or hardware suppliers.
    I found a graduated basting syringe useful for the smaller quantities.
    Gentle inversion or gentle stirring advisable so as not to trap too many air bubbles.
    Warm the oils and resin in hot water to thin and aid mixing process.
    Store in airtight container in dark cool place.

Denis

• SummerSummer -
    edited April 2019

The method I use is basically a proportional scale label which I attach to the side of a bottle.  I use an  ordinary calculator.  I re-arrange the numbers in the recipe from the most to the least: 10, 5, 5, 2, 1, getting a total of 23, showing me the order in which I will be pouring the ingredients into the bottle. I purchase one 16-oz straight sided amber Boston round growler bottle from Amazon.com--the one with the black phenolic cone lined cap. Then, I assemble a funnel, masking tape, thin, permanent black writing pen, a decimal ruler, and a calculator. I want the bottle full, so I measure its length which comes to 3 1/2 inches. I then place a 3 1/2 inch strip of masking tape along the vertical side of the bottle. I make sure that one end of the masking tape is level with the inside bottom of the bottle and not the physical outside bottom. With the black permanent marker, I draw the increments onto the tape based upon the amounts that I need for each chemical.

With 23 total parts in this recipe, I begin to divide the tape into 23 parts. I pour the biggest amount into the bottom of the jar first because it is then easier to actually see the smaller increments at the top. I use a decimal ruler but it could be a ruler in inches (10ths--not 8ths or l6ths). Or it could be in millimeters. Next, I use a calculator. OMS is the first ingredient and ten of the 23 parts, so, the first mark from the bottom is the result of 10 divided by 23 x 3½ inches = 1.52 inches and then I mark that increment on the tape. Because I am always measuring from the bottom, the next calculation is 15 divided by 23 x 3 1/2 = 2.28 inches. Then I put that increment on the tape. (See why it helps to have a decimal ruler? haha) I use the same formula for the rest of the increments: 20, then 22, and the last one is 23. Now I pour in the ingredients to their fill lines. Hope this is useful to a few members.

The tape on the side of the bottle will show fill lines something like this:

Summer

PaulBdencaltassieguyanne
  • Makes sense. Thanks as well
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    Summer said:

Brilliant!
    anne
  • What a great way to measure ingredients and get the recipe right each time! You must be a fabulous cook, @summer:)
    Summeranne
  • Thanks summer. Perfect solution and no gooey measuring spoons 

anne