Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

New Youtube Video and Channel

CJDCJD -
edited April 2019 in General Discussion
Hey all,

I would like to invite you to check out the first painting timelapse video I've posted on Youtube.

Worked hard on this painting and video and it turned out quite well I think although the quality was limited by the camera and my lack of experience filming and editing.

Future videos should be much better :)

Thanks for watching and letting me know what you think!

PaulBdencalanweshaKaustavMichaelDBoudiccatassieguySummerDiannakaustavMcadia

Comments

• PaulBPaulB mod
    Professionally done.  Very nice to see the painting up close like that.
    CJD
  • CJD

Looks great. Video and painting.

Denis

CJD
  • its a beautiful video.. not too rushed not too slow... nice choice of background music... very clean and like PaulB said very professional...
    i had a question.. how did you manage to keep yourself out of the video... did you place it behind you...
    CJD
  • CJDCJD -
    edited April 2019
    Thanks all I appreciate it

@anwesha thanks - the pacing is something I would like to perfect. There's something nice about the timelapses that are done at like 1000% speed but there's also something nice about seeing something painted in real time but edited in a way where it still moves along at a good pace. Need to find the right balance there...

For the filming the camera is on a tripod looking over my right shoulder. The lens is zoomed in all the way. For this one there was actually a bunch of my head in it so I had to crop that out which led to a loss in resolution and was more work to edit. With my new camera lens it's not a problem.. it zooms in perfectly so only my fingers are visible. Thankfully I'm able to paint in my normal position and not be bothered by the camera at all.

For video you need a camera that is specifically designed to shoot good video. Entry level DSLR's made for still photography don't do very well with video. The new camera I got is a Panasonic G85 and it shoots really nice 1080p 60fps. I'm uploading another video that I shot with that camera this weekend so you'll see the difference.

The sunflower video was shot with a Nikon d3400. Wouldn't recommend it for video
    anwesha
  • Excellent video. Thank you for sharing. 
    CJD
  • Cool video, @CJD. And great painting.  :)
    CJD
  • Looks good Clark. A personal preference for me are videos that have ASMR qualities rather than music. 
    CJD
  • Boudicca

Not often we get zeitgeist zingers on the DMP Forum.

Denis

• dencal said:
    Boudicca

Not often we get zeitgeist zingers on the DMP Forum.

Denis

Bill Shorten doesn’t have the monopoly on zingers  :)
  • Thanks guys. @Boudicca an asmr video of this would just be cut up snippets of the sound of cars driving by, sophie zelmani singing quietly in the background, and odd grunting and whistling sounds I didnt even know I made before recording this...
    BoudiccaDianna
  • CJD said:
    Thanks guys. @Boudicca an asmr video of this would just be cut up snippets of the sound of cars driving by, sophie zelmani singing quietly in the background, and odd grunting and whistling sounds I didnt even know I made before recording this...
    Sounds perfect  =)
  • I have seen several of your videos and they are all good.  There is not much painting content these days and the more the better.  Its a great deal of work so I appreciate your contributions.

I was wondering how you like your Panasonic G85 after several months of experience?  Is there anything else you would recommend?
    CJD
  • @MikeDerby thanks - the camera does a nice job with the video. Apparently it is one of the best cameras in the price range, although I haven't done too much with it other than the Youtube vids. I use manual focus with the camera on a tripod for the painting and auto focus for the shots of me talking, which seem to come out a bit more clearly. I had been shooting with the wrong shutter speed settings for a while so some videos weren't the best quality... Ones I wanted to show real time footage but had to speed up to compensate for laggy looking video at normal speed. Camera is a nice little size too. Still shots are good but megapixels aren't the best. I think it's a better camera for video.

The build quality is also much better than the entry level nikon I have. I immediately noticed the Panasonic feels a lot nicer in every way.
  • One thing I've noticed.. Likely a noob comment.. Is that having more lighting in the room or on the subject makes a huge difference. The best shots I get with the video are when there is more lighting. They come out much more clearly and more smooth. That's likely why the shots of me talking are clearer because i have a big light blasting me in the face.

Lights are farther away from the easel.
  • Excellent! Looks very professional.
    CJD
  • @CJD Subscribed to your channel a while ago and love your videos.
    The quality difference will most certainly come down to your aperture and ISO settings on your camera.
    Darker the scene the higher the ISO and 'lower' the aperture (F-stop)...aperture is counter intuitive, higher the number (F8 F11 F13 etc) the smaller the aperture = less light into the camera sensor though the F-stop will alter your depth of field.
    CJD
  • @CJD nice video and informative.  The owl looks like a gem.
    I see your Vermeer has 4600 views.  The subtle blending on the skin tones looks like you painted them so easily.  
    CJD
  • Thanks all

@Intothevoid thanks I know about iso/aperture/shutter speed, but for some reason haven't dialed it in perfectly yet for the videos. I'll put some time into figuring that out before the next video :)