Portaiture on cardboard

I need to keep painting to keep my game up so I’ll post this painting even though I am still in the process of setting up my studio according to DMP guidelines. I made a shadow box on Friday, so I’m making progress. 
So this painting was painted today and my favorite part is the hair. 
I saw this guy speaking on a tedx talk. His name is Theodore. He talked about talking to people. Strangers. Asking questions to create a better world where we communicate in ways that are more heart to heart rather than retorical. 

dencalMichaelDmariebDiannajefftonelitassieguyKaustavAbstractionStephanHM

Comments

• Also I realize how important values are and that is such ahem valuable information. I’ll work on painting some of this value scales to create more awareness in me. Have you tried working with value strips rather than a color checker? Would that work??
    dencaljeff
  • I like your painting @anneolaugsoleng, and Theodore`s idea.

Yes I have a value checker that I have used a little.
    anneolaugsoleng
  • anneolaugsoleng

I like your portrait. Remember to ask for comments if that is what you want.

Yes the value scale works. Clumsy and indirect in comparison to a color checker. Reds are usually rendered too dark and yellows too light on the b&w scale, unless you have a set of carefully mixed and matched color gradations.

A color checking process of premixing your values gets all of that tedium and time consuming process out of the way, leaving you free to focus on the creative activity of painting.

Denis

mariebanneolaugsolengDianna
  • dencaldencal -
    edited February 2019
    Anneolaugsoleng

Cardboard is not a stable support for a painting. Acid staining, humid expansion, paint cracking.
    In ideal conditions cardboard will last about sixty years and crumble to dust.
    In less than ideal conditions don’t expect more than twenty years.

Denis

• @dencal I will do that. I don’t really want critique at this point. Thanks. I painted in poor light and I’m sure it affects my painting in so many ways. 
    I think it makes sense what you are saying about values versus color checking. 
    I’m not sure I can get away with premixing acrylics though. It dries real fast. 
    At this point I’m just painting to keep moving forward ... I am just so happy that I found DMP. It got me back into painting. I love what I’m learning and I see a path ahead. Finally!! ☺️
    dencal
  • @dencal I know it’s not gonna last. One thing that stops me from painting is the accumulation of paintings. That’s why I painted on cardboard. I want it to be disposable and not last. I paint fast so I need the freedom of painting and having the practice without the accumulation. 
    😁 if I’m gonna paint something for the generations, I will not paint in cardboard. 😊 it’s kind of you to point it out. If I didn’t know I would probably want to know!!
    dencalGary_HeathDesertsky
  • I find your portrait very expressive. You have captured his personality well.
    anneolaugsoleng
  • dencaldencal -
    edited February 2019
    anneolaugsoleng

Have a look at YUPO, a polypropylene, inexpensive, archival, indestructible except for heat, compact sheet for oils, acrylics or water color. There are other brands of smart polypropylene products.

I also coat wit a ‘toothy’ acrylic such as Colourfix Primer, and is a perfect base for pastel or charcoal.

Denis
    anneolaugsoleng
  • It’s actually worse than just cardboard, @dencal. It’s a frozen pizza box. I really don’t want it archived! 😂 
    i did have a pad of paper for acrylics. I might look into it. Somehow I’m relieved it is not suitable for archiving, though. 🤭😊
    dencal
  • The options are almost endless when it comes to cardboard crafts. How many adorable and useful things you can create is absurd.
  • Been reading this post Molly?
    "Who doesn’t love recycling activities for kids?! We certainly do! It is an awesome and frugal way to spark creativity, and the options are truly endless." https://military.momcollective.com/ages-and-stages/10-cardboard-box-crafts-recycling-activities-for-kids/
    What about your first post?
    "The watercolor paper you choose has a big impact on your first painting. You might choose an expensive paper that can't tolerate heavy washing. Alternatively, select a low-cost set of 50, 100, or 120 sheets and practice polishing your washes."https://forum.drawmixpaint.com/discussion/comment/174307#Comment_174307
    Your second post?
    "You can experiment with several methods to precisely combine your oil pastels. To change the hues for a much softer appearance, one of the simplest methods is to use tissue paper, a cotton ball, a soft cloth, or a q-tip. You can easily combine the colors and create more artistic effects by using this method." https://forum.drawmixpaint.com/discussion/comment/175985#Comment_175985
    Zeldaella Aug 23, 2020 "You can try various techniques to carefully blend your oil pastels. One of the simplest ways is to use a tissue paper, a cotton ball, a soft cloth, or a q-tip to modify the shades for a much softer look. Using this technique, you can easily blend the colors and produce more artistic effects."  https://artltdmag.com/best-oil-pastels/
    "You can try various techniques to carefully blend your oil pastels. One of the simplest ways is to use a tissue paper, a cotton ball, a soft cloth, or a q-tip to modify the shades for a much softer looking. Using this technique, you can easily blend the colors and produce more artistic effects."July 2, 2022 by George Melrod

To the human behind the bot

So what kind of ethic does the human being behind the bot have to sign up as an imposter to make mockery of people's politeness towards strange, ill-fitting responses to a topic? If you're from a university, don't call it research. It fails the ethics test. If you're testing a corporate bot, I expect you think ethics is a county in England.
    tassieguyDesertsky
  • Aren't they tedious. I wish there was some sort of bot filter in place here.
    Abstraction